Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 11 Pro, PC

Operating System

iOS 13.5.1, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

What is the point of having a Display Name if it's not being used in place of the unchangeable random string of characters that is a username? The only place that my Display Name is being shown is on my profile. 

All playlists I've created are shown as created by the unrecognizable and personally unreadable 0uuhy1t2zlx87ww3l668y0dpd. Oh man does that 0uuhy1t2zlx87ww3l668y0dpd have an eclectic taste in music. It's also showing this random username a the top of my desktop client next to my profile picture. Why can't the display name be used in these places so I'm not just 0uuhy1t2zlx87ww3l668y0dpd and can actually use a screen name I like?

The reasoning I got from a support agent was that Display Names were only for profiles. What!?

Sure it's purely cosmetic, but it's being shoved in my face at the top of my client next to my picture, then presented in large bold characters on my settings page. I am not in any way happy to be 0uuhy1t2zlx87ww3l668y0dpd. 

All I want is the option to choose what is used to identify me on the platform. I can't tell my friends "Go check out my Spotify it's 0uuhy1t2zlx87ww3l668y0dpd." Nobody can remember that, it even uses "l" not "L" just to make things more confusing.

Capture.PNG
1 Reply

Hey there @Xentradi

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Don't worry. We'll explain some more here.

When people are searching for your profile or checking your playlists, they should be able to do so with your display name.

The automatically generated username should show up only URIs and URLs to your profile as a unique indicator of the account.

That's why, we'd suggest you perform some troubleshooting beginning by restarting your devices. You can also follow these steps to run a clean reinstall. 

If that doesn't help, you can check these steps and update the display name.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts