Premium

Country

USA

Device

Iphone7

Operating System

iOS 11.2.1

My Question or Issue

After my account was compromised earlier this month my username changed from my actual name to a bunch of numbers. I solved the first problem but my username is still the same. After reading the help page I saw that changing it isn't an option but if that's the case I'm not sure why it happened in the first place. Somehow it changed. Is there a way for Spotify to reset to my original settings? It seems unreasonable that there's no recourse to resolve this issue. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Scumbalina.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you login on the website and go to Privacy Settings? Check if you have opted out of Spotify processing your Facebook data. When you opt out there, it keeps your account usable but it will stop using a lot of data, for example your name. You can read here what information exactly.

Log in on your Facebook profile as well and make sure that you have granted Spotify access to your personal information, for example your friends list.

Give it 48 hours and your information should be displayed again. Hope it works!

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi There!

I understand your problem - being hacked is very upsetting and annoying. 

After some extensive research I have found two ways to resolve your issue.

1. There is a way to change your username manually ~ On the top right there is a Settings button that looks like a gear. If you click on it, it should take you to your settings page. Then you should be able to see your username and you should be able to click on it, rename it and click change username.

2. If this problem keeps happening, I would have a look at this page. This should be able to help you stop whomever may be hacking you:

https://support.spotify.com/sk/account_payment_help/privacy/someone-has-gained-access-to-my-account/

Good luck with resolving the issue.

Hope this helped! If it did, be sure to click on the 'Solution' button on my message and give it a thumbs up.

If you have any more questions or quieries, reply to this message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible! 😄

Kind Regards,
BK

Hi, that didn't work. I see the option to change usernames but it only changes it here in the message boards which appears to be totally seperate. I didn't see a second suggestion, I already got rid of the hacker I'm just trying to fix what they broke. I attached a photo of what I see when I login. You can see that my name is at the top right and it used to also be under "user" where all of those numbers are.

[snip - Community Moderator edit for privacy reasons]

Hi again,

So just a quick question ~ is the '{snip - Community Moderator edit for privacy reasons}' that is on the upper right hand corner of the screen your actual username?

Kind Regards,

BK ()

Yes, that's me and it was my username before this happened. I joined spotify through facebook years ago so it's always just been my name up until the hacker got in.

Ok, so I think the next step is to reinstall the program. Since it shouldn't be two different names, we need to see if we can rule out if it may just be a glitch in the system. Reinstalling is the best way to refresh the system to see if it can recognise that you've changed it.

Kind Regards,

BK ()

Marked as solution

Hey @Scumbalina.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you login on the website and go to Privacy Settings? Check if you have opted out of Spotify processing your Facebook data. When you opt out there, it keeps your account usable but it will stop using a lot of data, for example your name. You can read here what information exactly.

Log in on your Facebook profile as well and make sure that you have granted Spotify access to your personal information, for example your friends list.

Give it 48 hours and your information should be displayed again. Hope it works!

Have a nice day.

Hi, finally had an opportunity to do this and it didn’t work. Also now it appears that I’m still hacked, I’ve signed out everywhere and changed my password for he third time since all of this started. I’m not sure what other options I’m left with. 

Thanks! I just made that change so we’ll see if that works within 48 hours.

Unfortunately it seems like the hacker has returned, or maybe a different one. This morning while I was listening to music, the audio stopped, I went to look and some device I didn’t recognize was playing music I’ve never streamed before. I signed out everywhere, and changed both my Spotify password and my Facebook password. But I’ve done this before and it either didn’t work or they’re accessing my account some other way. Any ideas?

Hey there @Scumbalina,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If you're still seeing unexpected activity on your account, we'd recommend following all the steps provided in this support site article, including getting in touch with us. This way, our support teams can take a closer look behind the scenes for you.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hey @Scumbalina,

To add to what @Katerina said, please make sure to change the password of your email address or even change the email you use for facebook to a different one and ensure you have a strong password there 🙂

Also, what is the device you keep seeing?

Have a good day!

This worked!! Also, after it worked the other issue I was having with other users on my account seemed to resolve itself, maybe the issues were connected. Thank you!

Suggested posts