Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username is different across platforms.

Solved!

Username is different across platforms.

Whats going on? When logged in through my mobile devices, my username appears as the one I had set. However it no longer allows for me to use it when logging on In my browser and new devices. The email I was sent to change my password also claims my username to be completely different- a series of numbers and letters in fact. Why? Is there anyway of fixing this?? Because I can't get my head around it. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @Oddlittlecoffee, I hope you're well,

It seems that a couple of different things could have caused this. When logging on to your laptop, did you accidentally create a new account? This can be easily done without even realising. If you click on the log in through facebook link, and type in your facebook log in. You could have created a duplicate account because you wouldn't have chosen your own username if you didn't set up your Spotify with Facebook in the first place. Facebook will automatically use your facebook name which sometimes pops up in emails as a series of letters or numbers. Spotify does this as Facebook doesn't give you a truely unique username because I am sure there are many other users on Facebook with the same username as you. 

Once you've distinguished the account you want and the account you don't, deactivate the one you no longer want and make sure that you use the correct logging in method as you can accidentally reactivate old accounts if your not careful and it gets even more confusing!!

I hope this helps, let me know if you are still stuck. If this answers your question and resolves your issue please accept this as a solution 🙂

Carl

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @Oddlittlecoffee, I hope you're well,

It seems that a couple of different things could have caused this. When logging on to your laptop, did you accidentally create a new account? This can be easily done without even realising. If you click on the log in through facebook link, and type in your facebook log in. You could have created a duplicate account because you wouldn't have chosen your own username if you didn't set up your Spotify with Facebook in the first place. Facebook will automatically use your facebook name which sometimes pops up in emails as a series of letters or numbers. Spotify does this as Facebook doesn't give you a truely unique username because I am sure there are many other users on Facebook with the same username as you. 

Once you've distinguished the account you want and the account you don't, deactivate the one you no longer want and make sure that you use the correct logging in method as you can accidentally reactivate old accounts if your not careful and it gets even more confusing!!

I hope this helps, let me know if you are still stuck. If this answers your question and resolves your issue please accept this as a solution 🙂

Carl

Hi, thanks your your reply- I havnt used my Facebook to log in as I don't
like like linking accounts, as silly as that sounds. My Facebook is only
linked to my business Instagram nothing else.
I'll will have a look into it though,
Thanks for your help.

Suggested posts