Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username is letters and numbers, display name cannot be searched for

Username is letters and numbers, display name cannot be searched for

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 7 and Laptop

My Question or Issue

On my account page, my username is just letters and numbers. My display name can only be seen when I log in, on both the Spotify app on my laptop or my iPhone. There seems to be no solution to this problem. It would not matter much, but when my display name or username is searched for, nothing comes up. People cannot find my profile by searching for it within the app. Why does this happen? How can I fix this?

8 Replies

Hey there @Lex1927,

thanks for reaching out !

Please check out this Spotify Answer as it may clear some things out regarding the issue you're having.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

That did not help @OneByBoo . I don't have Facebook, and never connected a Facebook account to my Spotify account. What can I do that does not involve Facebook to fix this?

Hey @Lex1927,

thanks for the update !

The username you see is a vanity username, all new accounts are created this way.

If you would like to share music on Spotify, please take a look at this page for further  info.

Hope this helps 🙂

I'm having the same exact issue as OP: despite not having Facebook, my username is still random numbers, making it impossibile for my friends to find me on the platform. 
Is there anything that can be done to solve this?

@ I am not interested in sharing music. My original problem is that people cannot find my display name, nor my username when they search through Spotify. How can I fix this? I want people to be able to find me by searching for me.

Hey @Lex1927 and @Melampo ,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Spotify looks to improve the overall experience of the service, we are now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters.

You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

Since there is many users and usernames in the client, we recommend the Share feature to find and follow your friends. You can also choose to connect your account to your Facebook profile.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Does that mean that I have to accept the fact the my name will always be a bunch of ramdom numbers that are impossible to memorize?
I don't even have Facebook, how come you guys can't fix a thing as simple as letting me change my username to my actual name?
I do really enjoy Spotify, I've been a paying user for a long time, but I have to say I'm pretty frustrared by this issue and by the lack of actual helping answers....

Suggested posts