Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

165 Replies

unfortunately no advice helped to solve the problem for me. I tried several reinstalls etc.

Still some strangers and a lot of numbers in my list. Also the "All friends" and "On Spotify" lists are equal which should be wrong.

Another thing is that I'm unable to disable Top Artists Sharing - The box to publish it is unchecked but it's still published... And that's a problem from September 2011 or even earlier...

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop and may have a fix? What I did that seemed to fix the issue was running the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 and made sure to run it as administrator! I don't know if either of these individually fixed it, because I activated both.

To do this:

- Search for the spotify.exe (mine was installed under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify)

- Right click the .exe file and click on "Properties"

- Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the Properties window

- Checkmark the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "WIndows XP (Service Pack 3)"

- Checkmark the box next to "Run this program as an administrator"

- Click "Apply" then "OK"

- Run the program!!!

Where, before, spotify would only show users as numbers with no profile pics, it now displays their profile pic and names!

Great! This works for me too. Hopefully this helps the developers to find the issue - because it can't be the solution to use compatibility mode and permanently run as administrator.

True! When I found out no one else could figure it out, I just went and tried that for the hell of it and was actually shocked to see that it made a difference! Glad to be of some help in some way! 🙂

The friend that introduced me to Spotify had the same issue on his desktop running windows 7. I went there last night, applied the temporary fix, and it worked fine as well! 

Did nothing for me. And i have this problem on OS X too.

I'm on Windows XP SP3,so i can't try thishere..

This seems to be a really strange issue: I just tried the Spotify Linux Preview and the behavior is the same as with the windows version.

I'm wondering why enabling the compatiblity mode can change anything because the problem seems to be server/account related.

Looking forward to a fix...

I'm not shure whether I want to extend my premium status if the software remains that buggy.

I am having the same problem. I don't think it can be related to using a proxy or port blocking. I am having this problem on my home PC (Windows 8 Consumer Preview), on my Boxee Box (also on my home network), on my Windows 7 phone, and on my Mac at work. Incidentally, my daughters are using Spotify at home on our network and are not having this problem (and they both show as numbers to me too). It seems to be more related to my Spotify account, or my Facebook account, than any one particular installation or network. This is very frustrating and completely ruins the social aspects of Spotify. I really hope that you are looking into this as I doubt I will continue my subscription if the problem isn't resolved. Thank you.

Same thing happens to me. I'm running windows 7, 64-bit. The weird thing is that when I add the user to my favorites, they are displaying correctly there. I tried reinstalling and changing the compatibility as was recommended but I'm still experiencing the same behavior. 

I'm using Archlinux, same problem here.

There seems to be an issue to convert the "canonical_username" (as it's named in .config/spotify/settings) back to the Facebook name and fetch the profile picture.

As far as I can tell that user number doesn't correspond the facebook user id.

I have the same problem.  Window 7 64 bit.  The "fix" did not work for me.

same Problem here.

- no own name, only numbers

- no friend names, only numbers

- Same Problem on OSX without proxy, Windows 7 64 bit with proxy

- iPhone is showing my friends with names

- posting onto my chronik is working

- i'm from germany

same Problem here.

- no friend names, only numbers

- weird friends pics and names, i dont knwo these people!

- Windows 7 64 bit without proxy

- iPhone is showing my friends with names

- i'm from germany

with todays update all problems are gone on OSX

i well tell you if the problem on windows persists tomorrow

on windows with proxy and facebook not blocking the problem still exists

now its working! 

Seems to work for me too.

At least there are no more numbers and unknown contacts in the All friends/Spotify friends list.

Anyway there are still some numbers in the friends sidebar - but maybe they are just not jet updated or only new entries in this sidebar will have real names instead of numbers.

Wow, nearly 3 months waiting for this fix... Now there is only the "Top Artists" bug left which can't be hidden for many people...

@jbbr

it is function behind a proxy on windows?

No change here.

Still: Under "All Friends" are only people which seem to be using Spotify. So.. Exactly the same as the "Spotify" Tab.

The right bar only shows numbers and is far away from being up to date.. This is bonkers and ridiculous..

Marked as solution

My account is not connected to Facebook, but I'm getting this problem on the playlist part of search results all the time.

Here, I search for Wolfgang Gartner and look at the playlist, all the users show up as their username or the Facebook numbers:

Spoti1.png

Now I click on the playlist I'm pointing at to see detailed info for the playlist. I see the person's real name as it normally should be because he is connected to Facebook:

Spoti2.png

And then I click on the Back button to go back to my search results screen and the playlist search no longer shows the username for FB connected users, it's the Facebook real name:

Spoti3.png

The problem seems to be that Spotify is not fetching the Facebook real name under certain conditions. The people who have problems seeing the Facebook name on their friends list is probably having a similar problem as pictured here. Notice how everyone's real name showed up after I pressed the back button to return to the page I was in, even the ones whose playlist I did not look at. The People list never "reloads" like this, so there is no way to actually fix it in there.

Suggested posts