Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

165 Replies

last updated fixed the problem for me

If it is not possible to change the username, how users such as MTV can have their name displayed if they, I assume, also had to create their account through a Facebook profile which is supposed to be a person, not a company. I work for a small festival and would like to have the name of my festival displayed in my account, not my personal name. How do I do that?

Thanks

Could you link to a playlist or account from MTV so I can see what it's like? If it's a custom name in all lowercase without spaces, they've just signed up for an account without Facebook.

If you want a playlist account, just sign up without using your Facebook account. You will be able to choose a username then - this username should be something related to your festival. It will be all lowercase and no spaces, though.

Hi,

I have an issue of my username displaying differently in different places on the desktop app. As you can see in this image top right is my username (signed up years ago before facebook was required) but on the left it's using my facebook name (which I presume it picked up when I connected facebook). I have since disconnected facebook but it seems to be clinging to my facebook name.

I just want everything on there to be under the name 'blumarten' and nothing else.

Is this possible?

I checked your profile and I can't see your real name on it, only your username. So you should be disconnected from Facebook.

Your Spotify client is probably loading a cached version of the page (0.8.8 version uses webpages to display content) so it's only on your side.

hi. thanks for your reply.

I just loaded up the desktop app on a laptop for the first time in months and it's displaying my real name in both places now! See here.

So i completely deleted the app and downloaded it fresh from the site and it's still doing the same thing. I don't think it's a cache issue as this is the first time I've loaded the app on this laptop since connecting & disconnecting facebook, so it seems to be pulling the info from somewhere else. I now don't have blumarten anywhere on my profile, just my real name,  which is bloody annoying.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Now I see your real name as well!

When you logged in, did you type in an email or a username on the login form? If your Spotify and Facebook passwords are the same, you may have accidentally logged in with Facebook by typing an email instead of a username.

You may also have clicked a shared Spotify link on Facebook - this will connect your account.

christ.

no i logged in with my blumarten username, which has a totally different password from my facebook.

**bleep** me, i just want it totally disconnected from anything to do with facebook. this is ridiculous.

Great. So I emailed this same query to the helpdesk and now my name is what I want it to be but the 500+ followers I had have been deleted. Nice one Spotify, nice one.

Still, after trying everything posted here I can't see my username properply.
Instead of seeing my facebook name, I see a bunch of numbers, this, only after going on my profile.
I can see my name and my picture properly in the upper right.

My friends/followers also can't see my name.

Hi!

I am connected to Spotify through Facebook, and my avatar is my Facebook picture.  However, instead of displaying my Facebook name -- as is the case with all of the Facebook friends I follow on Spotify -- Spotify displays my Spotify username.  How can I get it to display my Facebook name instead of Spotify username?  I've tried a reinstall and that didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@user-removed wrote:

Hi!

I am connected to Spotify through Facebook, and my avatar is my Facebook picture.  However, instead of displaying my Facebook name -- as is the case with all of the Facebook friends I follow on Spotify -- Spotify displays my Spotify username.  How can I get it to display my Facebook name instead of Spotify username?  I've tried a reinstall and that didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Is your Spotify username "@user-removed"? 

If so, I just had a look at your profile and can confirm it displays your Facebook photo and real name. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I logged in with FB. the Connection is ok and everything works. 

My only Problem is the User name ist a row of numbers : 1124072581

I am not visable in the search as Tim Michael or anything like my facebook account (TimMichael1969).

How kann I Change the User name from numbers to a Name?

Please help me..

Tim

@user-removed wrote:

I logged in with FB. the Connection is ok and everything works. 

My only Problem is the User name ist a row of numbers : 1124072581

I am not visable in the search as Tim Michael or anything like my facebook account (TimMichael1969).

How kann I Change the User name from numbers to a Name?

Please help me..

Tim

Hi Tim - Welcome to the community 🙂 

Facebook accounts do have a username all made of digits (its how Spotify maps Facebook logins to their own systems) but you should very rarely need to use your username. Any of your friends who are friends on Facebook will be able to see you by typing your real name into the search box and your profile will be offered as a search suggestion under the heading "User". Your profile with your real name will also show in the follow tab (and the entire follow system) for anyone connected to Facebook. 

The only time you will ever need your numerical username is when you someone who is not connected to Facebook (or you are not friends with on Facebook) tries to find you. In that case they can search for your profile directly using spotify:user:1124072581

Since playlists are tied to usernames, there is no way to change that username tied to your account. 

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter, 

I made a new account without facebook because I am in Twitter more than facebook.

Now I have the User name like I need. But my problem now is I can not connect to facebook with that account!

this is getting really dumb now!

I wrote to support with the request to erase the 1124072581 account.

Maybe then I can connect facebook to may TimMichael69 account.

the TimMichael69 Account the the one I need to use now

Or can you help me connect the timmichael69 account to my facebook account?

Tim

@Timmichael69 wrote:

Hi Peter, 

I made a new account without facebook because I am in Twitter more than facebook.

Now I have the User name like I need. But my problem now is I can not connect to facebook with that account!

this is getting really dumb now!

I wrote to support with the request to erase the 1124072581 account.

Maybe then I can connect facebook to may TimMichael69 account.

the TimMichael69 Account the the one I need to use now

Or can you help me connect the timmichael69 account to my facebook account?

Tim

I don't work for Spotify so I can't do that for you. If you can't merge those accounts yourself by going to Edit > Preferences > Social Network > Connect to Facebook in the desktop client then you will need the staff to remove the extra account for you. 

Peter

Peter

No, a merge is not working.

i sent support an email with the request the old account delete. I hope the delete it soon....

I am getting really tired of trying to join the new account with the old facebook account logon.

Tim

Hi!

i just started using spotify yesterday and i since ive heard alot about how annoying it gets when people spam other people's news feed on what theyre listening to on spotify when they log in with facebook, i decided to make an account seperate from facebook. When i tried signing up, my facebook email was already taken by someone else? or maybe it was unavailable cuz facebook automatically reserves facebook emails ?idk. anyways, yeah after that i had to use another email blablabla. so right now my current name is "victoriaaudrey98" and i had no idea that we could follow people and get followers, so the only way to do that i found out was by logging in using facebook, and i saw all my friends pop up using their facebook accounts (with their fb picture and fb names). right now i dont have any picture or my facebook name, so i decided to log in with facebook. and when i did that, the right top corner had my facebook name and my facebook picture but whenever i clicked on it and pressed "profile", it'll go to my profile with my username and no picture... is this supposed to be a glitch or what? also when i clicked on account and it lead me to a website, i clicked on edit profile and it isnt my facebook email, its the email i signed up with but when i sign in with my facebook email it'll still let me in. so now im using two emails for this account? thats another problem.. question is: so is there a way to be permanently logged in with facebook (with my fb picture and name and just using my facebook email) ?

Hey victoriaaudrey98 🙂 

Just pulled up your profile, not really sure what is going on but it doesn't look like it is connected to Facebook. 

Can you log in with your "victoriaaudrey98" username in the desktop client, then go to:

Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Social Network > Connect to Facebook (if it says Disconnect, let me know!) and then log in using your Facebook details in the window that appears? 

If you get an "accounts can't be merged" error, then let me know 😉 

Peter

Peter

Hi,
I would realy like to change my username, due to some private circumstances we have very negative emotional feelings with this name combination.
Can you please help us? I don't have a Facebook account.

You can change it to Tim1409 or Vos1409 which is all fine by me.

Thanks for the support!

Suggested posts