Plan

Free/Premium

USA

Device

(imac late 2014, iPhone 😎

Operating System

(macOS Catalina, iOS 13)

My Question or Issue

I use a VPN periodically for obvious reasons. Twice recently I've had my account flagged for suspicious activity and had to change my password, and since the "suspicious activity" alert doesn't tell me what Spotify thinks was suspicious, I'd guess it's logging in from another location, especially if it's a different country. It's a real pain to have to be changing my password so frequently, and I really don't think there's somebody out there trying to access my account over and over. Is there any way to prevent this, or do I have to shut down Spotify whenever my VPN is turned on so that I don't get flagged? Or is it really more likely that I'm getting targeted by hackers?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @ArcaneTheWoof!

Just wanted to jump in here to add a bit more info to the great security steps @OneByBoo has already listed.

The password resets you mention are an automatic security measure from Spotify and won’t always be triggered by the same factors. We cannot disclose the exact protocols they follow in order to keep the system secure.

We don't advise using a VPN with Spotify and it's possible that it is a part of the reason why you're experiencing this.

We'd recommend following the steps above to secure your account and not having an active VPN when using Spotify.

Keep us in the loop on this!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hi there @ArcaneTheWoof

thanks for reaching out !

I would like to start off by saying that Spotify is recommended to be used on a solid LAN/WiFi connections for maximum function of the app and for security reasons.

If you're experiencing odd behavior on your account, please make sure to follow all the protection steps provided here and here and give your account 24-48 Hrs to see if the issue continues.

Furthermore, there's always the option of a new account.

This will provide you with a fresh start and you can learn how to transfer your data safely following this Spotify Answer.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey there @ArcaneTheWoof!

Just wanted to jump in here to add a bit more info to the great security steps @OneByBoo has already listed.

The password resets you mention are an automatic security measure from Spotify and won’t always be triggered by the same factors. We cannot disclose the exact protocols they follow in order to keep the system secure.

We don't advise using a VPN with Spotify and it's possible that it is a part of the reason why you're experiencing this.

We'd recommend following the steps above to secure your account and not having an active VPN when using Spotify.

Keep us in the loop on this!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

Given that we are all working from home and using Spotify on our VPN connected work computers, it is not wise to reset peoples passwords every week because their account is jumping between Corporate HQ(Different state/ country) and home. If you insist doing this have some decency to disclose the details of this suspicious activity, where and when my account is used.

If I get another password reset email without any details attached to claimed suspicious activity, I will cancel my Family premium account and move to Apple Music!

The expectation of us not to listen to music while using VPN is just pure laziness.

VPN is common enough that developers should take it into consideration when developing their software.

At the very least, you should add a link in that e-mail you automatically send out about "suspicious activity", for example "click this link if was actually you who logged in from another country". Worst part is you can't even enter your "old" password as the new password to get around this, you insist on us changing it to something new. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Absolutely agree.  Pure laziness by Spotify.  The real reason that Spotify frowns on VPNs, is so that they can more easily/effectively track your location to sell your tracking/activity data to advertisers.

@Elena wrote:

Translation from corporate speak:

"The problem that your car (we made) is killing it's engine every few days, is because you're wearing a seat belt. We don't advise using a seat belt in the car, because we don't really give a s**t about security, we're lazy to fix the issue and implement proper solution. Ef U. But we like the money you're paying us, tho."

It just happened to me today... I am sorry but I think Spotify should not recommend not to use VPN, if you connect on a public hotspot or in a coffee shop, using a VPN can really protect you. It's probably just an annoying spying security system alert at Spotify that has been triggered so I guess no other choice than to change the password each time it's triggered...

Suggested posts