Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Very disappointed with Spotify support on failed payment

Very disappointed with Spotify support on failed payment

I've been working with Spotify support for the past week via email on why my new Amex card is being rejected. Spotify is the only biller who's had any problems with the new card. Spotify's go-to response is "it's an issue you need to work out with your bank" instead of actually trying to figure out what the problem is. 

Spotify, as a last ditch effort, canceled my Premium subscription in order to purge their system of my old payment details. Why they can't do this without canceling my subscription is beyond me. So now my current Premium subscription will expire in 4 days and their system won't accept my new Amex. It's the same bank that I've been using for the past year on my Premium subscription. What's the problem?

Telling the customer to "work it out with their bank" is just another way of pushing the problem onto someone else when evidence clearly suggests Spotify has a payment processing issue. Email responses are sometimes unclear with a lot of confusing/conflicting explanations of why they think it's not working. Spotify, you are a MAJOR streaming service provider, why isn't your payment system fixed yet? And why are you insulating yourselves from customers by not providing a way for us to contact a live person?

Disappointing.

10 Replies

Sorry to hear you've had trouble. Do you have the case number you submitted? I can escalate with the community moderators for some assistance. 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Thank you for offering. It's Case #04660769.

Just escalated! Will let you know as soon as we get it handled. 

Hey there @lhtaylor00!

The Moderators have passed this on to the Payment team internally, and they'll take a look at this user's account. The right team has been informed and you should try signing up again in 2 business days. 

Keep me posted and let me know if it works!

Thanks for your help, @kbrooksc. I will try tomorrow (the day before my account expires). Worst case is I have to use my debit card, which IS accepted for some reason. So I do have some way of renewing my account. I just don't like linking my bank account to websites given all the compromises lately.

Glad I could help and I completely understand! Hope it gets sorted soon. Reply back here if it doesn't work - I still have the moderators on the other email trail.

@lhtaylor00 did this work? 

Sadly, no. I'm still getting the same error ("Oops, something went wrong. Please try again later.") and no one has contacted me about it. I reiterate my disappointment with the Spotify team. At the very least, paid members should be getting resolution from Spotify if they're not able to use the Spotify payment system. You would think they'd have a vested interest in keeping your business.

I appreciate your willingness to help, @kbrooksc.

@kbrooksc I emailed Spotify to get an update on my case. The gist of their response was that they were aware there's a problem and don't know when it can/will be fixed. In the meantime, they've extended my Premium membership for one month, which doesn't really help since I had to use my debit card to keep my account from expiring yesterday. But I did appreciate the attempt to postpone expiration on their part. Since Googling seems to indicate that this is a long-standing problem, I don't expect it will get resolved anytime soon and I'll just have to continue to use my debit card as a payment source. It's not the end of the world, but in this day of hacked systems, I don't like having my bank account linked to any website.

Again, I appreciate your willingness to help, but I wouldn't want you to waste anymore of your time on it. Just one of those things, I guess. *shrug*

Sorry to hear you didn't get the answer you were looking for, but glad we could chat! Please don't hesitate to reach out of we can help in any way!

Suggested posts