Free

Country

Taiwan

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Linux Mint 20.3

My Question or Issue

I am unable to login to Spotify website on Brave browser (Flatpak) with a regular window. However in the same browser in a private window I am able to login. I get the error message "Spotify is currently not available in your country." on a regular window. Refer to the screenshot attached. wth?

(I supsect my account triggered suspicious behaviour after I tried to login to my account on my Raspberry Pi with a chromium browser in docker in order to play DRM content on my Raspberry Pi. I am able to login, play for about 10s and then playback ends. Yesterday Spotify reset my password due to suspicious behavour, and since then I have problems with my account).

Screenshot_2022-06-24_19-11-08.png
7 Replies

Hey @Heclalava ,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'd recommend making sure that the browser's built-in VPN is disabled 🙂 It might be the cause of this issue.

Let me know how it goes.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

There's a VPN built into my router. As your can see from the screenshot,
the normal window and private window were both going through the same VPN
connection in the router. The private window worked fine. There's no vpn
enabled in the browser.

After browsing the forum I've seen a lot of other users complaining about
issues with Spotify and Brave browser, almost as if Spotify is blocking the
browser.

Hey @Heclalava ,

Thanks for getting back.

An incognito window doesn't store cache and that's why this could be the reason it is working there. Can you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies to see if that makes a difference?

Also, does this happen when using a different browser or device?

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

I checked there's no built in vpn in Brave and no settings for a VPN, I tried playing with the DNS settings and that had no effect. I also tested with Firefox and same result. I also have just installed the flatpak version of Brave as I switched from the regular version to try solve another issue, so no cache was built up for Spotify and this problem started immediately. I tried clearing the cookies a few times and no effect. 

So I just deleted cached images and files in Brave. I tested Spotify and it allowed the site to load and for me to login. Tested the web player and that's working. However this had no effect on Firefox on my Linux PC, same problem still persists.

Quite surprised as I wouldn't have expected a newly installed browser to have built up a cache. But it did seem to do the trick. 

Now if you know if any way to get the Chromium browser in docker on my Raspberry Pi from not triggering suspicious behaviour that would be great. Unfortunately regular browsers like Firefox don't have DRM settings built in. So getting Spotify, Netflix etc is to work always a hassle. On RaspiOS the default Chromium works, but I'm running Ubuntu mate, and Chromium from their repo doesn't work, that's when I researched and found this docker version. It works great for Netflix, but Spotify doesn't seem to like it, even to the point where it triggered suspicious activity and they forced me to reset my password. 

Hey @Heclalava ,

Spotify is not officially supported on Linux. Using the app on any desktop Linux distribution or the web player can't be done with a guarantee of the functionality 🙂

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac."

Source: https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

Also, Spotify doesn't officially support VPN usage, as it can lead to unforeseeable errors.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MaximSpotify Star

Hey @Heclalava ,

Spotify is not officially supported on Linux. Using the app on any desktop Linux distribution or the web player can't be done with a guarantee of the functionality 🙂

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac."

Source: https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

Also, Spotify doesn't officially support VPN usage, as it can lead to unforeseeable errors.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MaximSpotify Star

Well that talks about the Linux client which actually works without issues. Here it's the webplayer in browsers that seems to be the issue. However someone from customer support has been in contact with me, so we have been working on seeing if we can get the issue resolved. However I do understand the VPN could be a problem, but it is a necessary evil as Spotify is censored where I live, so it doesn't work without a VPN. 

Suggested posts