Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is Parental Consent?

What is Parental Consent?

My Question or Issue

Hello 🙂

I read in the terms that if i’m between 13 and under 18 i need parental concent. Is that just asking my parent(s) if it’s okay i use spotify, or is there something more formal to it? Is it the same for spotify free and spotify premium? So if it’s okay with my parent, can i create my own premium account that i pay for myself?

7 Replies

Hey @malthe, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Yes, that's correct. It means that with your parent's consent, you're able to use Spotify if you're between those ages. There isn't a formal way necessary to ask your parent for consent, so no worries. 

This and all of the terms and conditions apply if you're using the Spotify service, including Spotify Free, Premium, Spotify website, etc. You can always read the terms of conditions of Spotify here

I hope this helps! I'll be here if you have any more questions.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That’s brilliant, thank you so much for your help.

just to be 100% sure, that means it’s okay for me to create my own account with my own email address, name etc. and then subscribe to premium with my own credit card?

Thanks again! Have a wonderful day 🙂

Hey @malthe,

No problem. 

As long as your parents consent to the agreements, you can create your own account and subscribe using your own payment method.

I hope you'll find this useful, but don't hesitate to reach back out should you have any further questions!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Okay, thank you. 

i’m just a bit confused, since i reached out to spotify support and they said this - “Thanks for reaching out. We understand you want to create an account with Spotify. Don't worry, we're here to help. Since you're underage, you need to ask your parents to create an account for you using their information.”

?

Hey @malthe,

Thanks for pointing that out!

I'll take a closer look at this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience in advance 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thank you! :))

Hey @malthe,

Thanks for your patience as I took a closer look.

What Customer Support said to you does apply for some select countries only and is correct in this case.

The countries this requirement applies to are marked with an asterisk (*) in the T&Cs.

I hope this clears things up 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts