Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the best way to use premium on shared device (like TV)

What is the best way to use premium on shared device (like TV)

Plan

Premium

Country

Croatia

Device

Philips Android TV

My Question or Issue

I have premium account, and I am really careful about teaching spotify about my music taste (it is currently almost perfect).

I am using spotify connect to listen on my TV.

However, connect works in a way that my account stays active on TV after I cast music from my phone to TV.

So what happens, my family opens spotify app on TV and listen to some music using my account (as it is saved on TV due to how connect works), teaching spotify to start suggesting some kids songs to me in the future.

What is best practice here?

If spotify connect worked like chromecast, there would be no issue. Casting would not save account, and I would put a free account on TV for them to listen to kids songs.

But that is not possible with connect.

PS

Why I don't just use chromecast? Because user experience of connect is much better. Faster stream start, better on screen display while playing, better sound

3 Replies

Hey @Gogo

Welcome to the Community 🙂 

We understand where you're coming from. 

In this case, we suggest that you log out on your TV's app after using your account. 

If other users want to listen  to music on it, they can log in with their own accounts or use the Connect feature. 

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

Thank you for worm welcome, but this ain't really a solution, is it?

I think Spotify connect is great technical solution but lacking from product design perspective. It is stuck between casting solution and single sign-on solution, solving two completely incompatible problems from user perspective.

If it is single sign-on solution, it should be removed from casting options and that part should be left to Chromecast.

If it is casting solution, then is should not keep any authentication longer than single session.

It could be both, but as two separate functions.

Hey again @Gogo

Thanks for your quick reply.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If there's anything else we can help you with, don't hesitate to let us know!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts