Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Solved!

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

147 Replies

I posed this on a similar thread earlier tonight, but I'll add it here as well.. ironically.. 12 minutes later I hit my 1 year anniversary from signing up for Spotify Community, which I only had done to add my voice to those already calling for this functionality.. you can't make this **bleep** up

Edit: since this lacks some little context that was obvious in the other thread. The ability I am referring to is be able play a single stream on multiple devices at the same time, in synch , for devices that happen to be on the same local IP subnet, with the same public facing IP.   Multi-room audio.

I've been asking for this feature for well over a year exactly one year now and it seems MANY MANY others have the same interest judging by the activity I receive on this thread regularly in my email box.  Spotify continues to be silent.  If there is a contractual obligation that must be upheld, tell us.  Keeping myself and others in the dark about this hopefully, future capability is doing the company no good that I can see.

I'm not naive enough to think this will make a difference, but I have a been a premium spotify user for many years.  I will no longer be a paid subscriber if there is no answer to this thread by the end of July.  This saddens me, but I have other means of hearing the music I want.  The SiriusXM mobile app has really come a long way.  Neither support multi-zone audio on the same wireless network, but that will satisfy my playlist needs and I can always go back to my incredibly extensive MP3 selection for my "on demand" content as I typically only listen to things I own with Spotify anyway.

I will update with proof of my cancellation when this unfolds as I expect it to.

-John

Why not say that? I would understand if we were being in friends to share for free. But it is my wife and I and we pay through iTunes which charges and additional $3 for YouTube red. Really irritates me. The greed in this country is what is killing our democracy!!

I was recently notified of a family subscription for spotify... it is 14.99 a month I signed up immediately and am happy with it. It is for anyone up to 5 people I believe that share the same address... hope this helps all!

This is my exact issue, and I upgraded to the Family plan thinking it would solve it.  When we have people over to the house, we want to be able to stream the SAME playlist to 4 different devices (syncing the music).   I don't get why this isn't supported.

Thank you! I agree.

I have had no issues

👍

Hey Liam

Here is another complaint. And another customer lost - what a useless service.  And how rude you were to your customer. **bleep**!

That's dumb, me and my best friend share spotify and when I'm at work she's at school and we both want to listen to music so unless you want one of us to switch to Pandora, I suggest you change that.

Obviously I am in agreement with you!

It is misleading and frustrating. If i have a family plan/ premium account i should be able to listen to a song in my room on my account on one of my devices and my son should be able to listen to another song on the same account on his device or in another room. People dont care about the record labels we just want to listen to the music and if we have to resort to illegally obtaining the music for free instead of paying $15 a month on a family plan that doesnt allow the multiple users on the account to stream different music at different times on different devices on the account then you guys will continue to lose money.

Hey @Moneysal

If all members use the same login information in their devices, your music will cutoff like it has been happening to you.

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. The account that pays then links the other family members to the plan through the Spotify website.

After that, each family member will be able to listen to different music at the same time on different devices, have different playlists, library and friends.

More detailed instructions can be found here. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

so basically i wasted my money on premium....

What about with a family account?  My dad and I share and we still can't do it. 

Hey @christinecnelso

If all members use the same login information in their devices, your music will cutoff like it has been happening to you.

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. The account that pays then links the other family members to the plan through the Spotify website.

After that, each family member will be able to listen to different music at the same time on different devices, have different playlists, library and friends.

More detailed instructions can be found here. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have a 2 office computers and i want to be able to play different music on them, at the same time. how do i do that?

Marked as solution

what if we have a family acount - just so that someone can be in one room listening on google home and i can be some place else listening on my phone or computer?

Yup..... this is rubbish..... very miss leading, I’m ending my contract with Spotify. I have 3  home hubs, a family account and you can only listen to one device at a time.... complete waist of time and a load of **bleep**.... bye bye spotinot!

I’ve said this before.

My Sonos presents itself to Spotify as a single device but I am able to play 3 different tracks in my 3 Sonos zones at the same time.

But not a tablet while doing that 😞

M

So, does that mean a Premium for Family account allows 5 devices to play 5 different playlists at the same time? It certainly is NOT clear on the link you posted.

Isn't that the whole issue on this 14-page post, and the reason I came across it. Spotify should make it patently clear what they are offering. Because they don't, I'm again suspicious of th offering. 

If I missed something, I think the following should be placed somewhere on the page:

"Premium for Family: 5 devices, 5 different playlists, all at the same time"

would work for me and I'd sign up immediately, not even thinking about the cost

Suggested posts