Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Solved!

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify accounts are licensed for personal usage only (not just from Spotify, but those agreements also cover the content from the record labels and how plays are compensated), so account sharing is not allowed. Since you can't be in two places at the same time, you can only have one active stream open at any given time. There is no restriction on how many devices you can use your premium subscription on, just not at the same time sadly! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I understand it is for "personal use". Personally I am confused as I have had a Premium account for over 3 years now and never had this issue. All of the sudden I am no longer to listen to my music while my teenager is listening to hers. In reference to your comment telling the gentleman his girlfriend should be paying for her own. Is this something you propose I do as well? I purchased the Premium account because of this capability of listening on two or three different devices. Seems rather expensive for me to pay for three single devices for three different accounts, dont you think? Personally I am reconsidering my decision as well. The simple logic is I would save money deleting my account and adding 10$ to my phone company to add mb. I certainly will not pay 30$ a month and its utterly ridiculous for you to suggest any one to do such a thing. PREMIUM means thats the top of the line that you have to offer. This certainly calls for a meeting of the minds to clarify what you can offer as far as "Family or Premium plans" are concerned. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. BLESSED BE.

Marked as solution

what if we have a family acount - just so that someone can be in one room listening on google home and i can be some place else listening on my phone or computer?

147 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify accounts are licensed for personal usage only (not just from Spotify, but those agreements also cover the content from the record labels and how plays are compensated), so account sharing is not allowed. Since you can't be in two places at the same time, you can only have one active stream open at any given time. There is no restriction on how many devices you can use your premium subscription on, just not at the same time sadly! 

Peter

Peter

Hi @user-removed and welcome to the community... 🙂

Spotify is licensed for personal use only, and there should only be one user per account - your girlfriend should have her own account.

This is detailed in the terms and conditions.

Liam

Well, as I said the image of Premium is very misleading.

This will be my last month and I will use another service.

@user-removed wrote:

Well, as I said the image of Premium is very misleading.

This will be my last month and I will use another service.

It isn't misleading at all. I don't see anyone else complaining - so it musn't be misleading.

Make this your last month then - don't make a scene. I believe you're making the wrong decision. Premium can be used on an unlimited number of devices, just not at the same time - as Spotify is for personal use, just like the terms (which you read) says.

Liam

no wonder my phone keep de-synced my offline playlist, its because i open spotify online at the sametime with my pc and my tab

@zul wrote:

no wonder my phone keep de-synced my offline playlist, its because i open spotify online at the sametime with my pc and my tab

That shouldn't desync offline content, you are allowed similtaneous offline content on up to 3 devices (but you can only play back on one at any given time - however forcing a device into offline mode is a workarond!).

Peter

This really is not cool. In my chiro practice we were using Pandora One for our office music. We play it on two of our computers. It worked perfectly because the doctors can select their own music for the back office and the lobby has its own music. Today we decided to give Spotify unlimited a try because it has more music, however not being able to keep this playing throughout our office isn't going to benefit us as all. If this worked with same IP addresses or wifi that would be better. There is absolutely no way around this? I'd really appreciate some type of "yes." If not, I unfortunately will have to buy streaming music elsewhere.

Thank you!

You're not allowed to use Spotify in a commercial setting like you've described to begin with, so the answer is no.

Please read the terms and conditions...

Spotify is not the awesome music service it's advertised to be... only one device at a time and I have to pay 9.99 a month?

Nope... and to make it worse the reps on this thread are rude and inviting customers to leave their company.... all in all... i'll take Pandora and all it's ads... at least they know how to run a successful music streaming buisness.

"the reps" don't work for Spotify.

Peter

Well whoever is responding so obnoxiously... smartass

@cabezon1986 Hey! The guys who've previously commented on the thread aren't employees, just people trying to help out.

A Spotify account is for personal use only. This is due to the music licences we have have in place, that allow us to provide you with all the music you'd like.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Sam HEY URSELF!!! We already established they didnt work for spotufy and if you call they're condescending replies as help then we'd be better off not answering at all and just giving the same copy and paste answer you just gave

@cabezon1986 Only trying to help. If you have any questions, feel free to post below.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Is there any kind of suggestion space for spotify? I would happily pay extra to be able to stream from multiple devices just like how Netflix is designed.

New ideas can be posted here. There is already an idea for a family deal which you might want to support.

I think it would be a good idea working out family discounts. Everyone has to respect the fact that this site pays the music industry for the use of the music, everything is above board and we are all legal. Millions paid out of all our £10's. I'm a new customer from yesterday and I've read into what it's all about. Others should do the same. I did hear mention that the music wasn't up to date. I haven't found a problem with the music so far, everything I listen too and more Is here at my fingertips.

I agree that it is frustrating that only one device can be used at a time. I use spotify at home and would like to be able to sync two devices at home one for the lounge and one for the basement. This would negate the need to have to buy sonos to do the same by proxy. I have 3 stereos but I can only play spotify on one at a time. For a party etc this would be a great improvement. Spotify is missing a trick here surely. Unless they make money from the link in with sonos and do not want to tread on their toes

I am also disappointed with this. I can purchase Pandora premium for cheaper and play it on two devices at once. Most services allow this feature. I will be canceling my account too.

Suggested posts