Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Solved!

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

147 Replies

I agree. It's annoying that you can't play on more than one device at a time and it should let you do at least 2 like Netflix. Hopefully someday they will lift this restriction. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

If you have Premium, put one into offline mode from the Settings menu and listen to offline playlists. 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

My thing is that I would like to be able to play music on my iPad attached to a stereo in the basement and also in the lounge upstairs, on an iPhone linked to a stereo. Therefore saving a few hundered quid on buying sonos (which does not have good enough sound anyway IMO)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
@user-removed wrote:

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

I KNOW MAN ITS STUPID...TOO MUCH MONEY AND YOU CANNOT SHARE WITH YOUR FAMILY LIKE ON NETFLIX KIDS GRANDPAS ETC. ILL JUST WAIT FOR A BETTER MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE

Actually it is misleading and I am very disappointed to ! Can't believe you can't even do that at least limit it to 3 accounts at once !

Unfortunately, I can't see it being changed in the near future either considering from previous staff input this appears to be governed by Spotify's licensing agreements with content providers.

Peter

If you want to listen spotify on more than one device at the same time. Simply make the song available offline. Disconnect the phone or ipod from the internet and while you listening music in offline mode, nobody will not that its used on 2 devices at the same time

Don't you think you should make it not only in the terms of service but online right under plays on multiple devices?? I bought 3 tablets to play through an audio system in 3 sections of my home but it won't play more than the same selected song on all 3 tablets. If I had have known WHEN I SIGNED UP instead of combing through the TOS I wouldn't have wasted my time. I love Spotify BUT IT'S STUPID and misleading to say you can use it on unlimited mobile devices and allow only a single stream. Don't ya think????  BAD SPOTIFY!

To be honest, it's not even clearly outlined in the ToS themselves either (and I have read them!).

Guess this is why they give out free trials to new users!

Peter

Actually, it is misleading because we used to be able to listen to two devices at once and now we aren't able to. I understand the policy change but I have paid for a premium account for a long time and this change in function feels like a bait and switch to me..

Now there is a solution. Thank you

I found out this after I became a paying customer. But it's no biggie, because you can just download the music on which you want to listen to, and then your girlfriend can then listen to music via being connected to the internet. However I do believe that you have to be disconnected from the internet to listen to your offline play, at the same time as your girlfriend listens to music via being online. 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?!
Follow me: Snapchat | Twitter | I'm a Blackstar!

Be aware that doing this is a breach of Spotify's TOS which state:

we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable licence to make personal, non-commercial ... use of the Spotify Service

and

You may not assign these Agreements or any part of them, nor transfer or sub-licence your rights under this Licence, to any third party

A good feature on using 2 devices is that when I'm chilling in the bath for instance. I can use my iphone to change track on my PC which has large speakers. I Love the idea.

@Antjp-gb wrote:
A good feature on using 2 devices is that when I'm chilling in the bath for instance. I can use my iphone to change track on my PC which has large speakers. I Love the idea.

Hey there @Antjp-gb!

That feature is actually in the plans of Spotify Connect! 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

It already works on my device. I just select which device i want to play from ie on my iphone or other portable device or my PC. As long as they are all logged into spotify. They all show up.

Well it would be great for Spotify to had some type of family plan. People with family's would love this have have no problem playing an extra 5 bucks a months to allow 2-3 devices to to use at the same time. Several other streaming services do it and would add to Spotify's customer base and profit margin. They could call it "Spotify premium plus" someone in Spotify try to make this happen your customer would very much appreciate it.

@Tj3 PLease support this idea.

It's BS I have three daughters and I'm not going to get them each a account but every time my daughter play music it changes mine on my iPad.
As soon is my yearly subscription is up I will say goodbye to spotify.
And hello to BeatsbyDre. Now that it's own by apple they will allow family subscriptions.

Same here 😉

Suggested posts