Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Solved!

Why can't we play on more than one device?

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

147 Replies

I'm complaining it sucks that my daughter keeps changing my music.
Now that apple owns beats streaming they should provide a better service...

Wow, can't play on more than one device and I'm paying per $10 a month?? WTH is this? Sorry Spotify... I'm taking my business elsewhere... I'm not paying for premium service for 2 different accounts so that my wife and I can pay you 10 dollars twice... you need to rethink this through... how about something like "Premium Household Plans"...  until then... see ya...

Hello: Sorry you are having issues @jadwight

There exists family plans now for some regions now, what is your current listening region?

But AFAIK if you have 1 spotify account but several SONOS units then you can play different musics from each ones... And that is not fair! Right?

That is very true. It makes me think spotify has signed a deal with sonos not to encroach on their business.

I'm having the same issue and i'm very frustrated about it because in the ad for why to upgrade to premium you say  

No tantrums.

Everyone can play at the same time. 

so yes i too must say this is VERY misleading!!!

Save a playlist to ones handset then go offline.

i was looking for a solution to this and just saw how rude they was 2 u when u was only making a point i am doing the same thing as u insept change girlfriend to mum as we have 2 different music tast aswell but 9.99... what acceptable but for one device no not really so what they want u to do is pay at least £19.98 almost £20 no thx i will be doing the same at least they can be less rude to there customers

Hey @shadow00 

It isn't that Spotify cannot or doesn't have the muscle to allow more than one device per account to play music at the same time. I believe its because of how Spotify has agreed with the big music records to only allow one device at a time to play music. Remember, your not owning the music, you are simply streaming music to your device. So it probably comes down to legal limitations and formalities which i dont understand myself.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?!
Follow me: Snapchat | Twitter | I'm a Blackstar!

I think it is because of spotifys links with sonos and the problems with retreading on sonos toes. Ironically on sonos one spotify account can play on a number of different devices. Even different tunes, using one login.
They say they can't do it? They already do! You just have to pay ridiculous prices for sonos's limited quality equipment

Maybe one day this limit will be removed.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

It is down to paying the artists there royalties and also being a profitable buisness. As I've said before make a playlist, save it, go offline. I have multiple devices and when I want to listen to them all at once that's what I do.

So first things first... We can debate all day about who, what, when, where, and why, but let's just cut the chase... If this was really a issue with royalties... more advertisement would easily solve that... 2ndly, if I'm paying that much for a family plan then I'm simply going to set up a plex server... 5 dollars a month for multiple devices... vs readily available music? Saving 15 every month is an album and a half... 3rdly, Spotifys advertisement isn't even relevant to what you listen to. I heard country ads on a rap station I created.. honestly I just can't support them... too many alternatives that do what I need.. If spotify wants my money it needs to address these issues.

but then why is that service available to users of sonos?
Why, when using sonos can you listen to spotify on multiple devices at the
same time. If multiple linked devices play the same music i can see no
copyright / royalties issue.

Hey!

Sonos is a wireless system, it might be using more than one device at a time but ultimately only using one connection to Spotify, if you tried to use a different device for the same Spotify account, it wouldn't allow it. You can only use one device at a time to play music from Spotify, there is no way to change this, it is deadlocked into their system!

I totally agree with that i have premium and it drives me up a wall that my ipad and my iphone dont let me listen to 2 different things for as much as it costs a month. I think I'ma go back to pandora.

I have the same issue and it's annoying considering $14.99/month. 😡 very inconveniencing especially when songs don't come on Spotify till weeks after being realesed to the public and the search engine is not helpful. Basically you have to know the EXACT artist name and feature (if included) also name of song before the search engine can accurately locate what song you're trying to find. What ever happened to "smart search?" In the event when someone doesn't exactly know the name of the song or artist maybe due to misspelling? 😏 well here you have another complainant. Pass along this complains to whosoever you guys have these agreements with cause at the end of the day the users of your app and the listeners of the music by the artists or Corperations you have these so called agreements with vitiates our relevance; we pay for the services and without this all of you will be out of business. Spare me the bunkum!

This is ridiculous! If I would have known, I wouldnt of purchased Premium! Please fix!

@user-removed wrote:

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

@user-removed wrote:

@user-removed wrote:

Actually, it is extremely misleading

I'm complaining, Netflix lets you share your account on multiple devices. Spotify.. (In which I am well likely to assume the company makes millions) could just as easily do that and not lose profit..

Suggested posts