Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why hack a free account?

Why hack a free account?

Plan

Free

My Question or Issue

My account has been hacke for the second time. I can tell this because my recent plays have changed. I am able to reset my login passwords etc and remove the liked songs from my account but I'm just baffled why anyone would want to hack a free account, I don't have premium, so what is the point?

Any ideas?

5 Replies

Hey @Argentum66, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I’m sorry to hear about this! In this case, I’d recommend checking out this support article for the next steps to take.

To prevent this from happening in the future, there are many measures you can take to protect your account, such as resetting your password every few months, and not using passwords you have used on other sites. There is also a great guide here for some more measures on protecting your account.

If you see an email from Spotify, and can’t tell if it’s legit, use this checklist. Of course, Spotify makes sure that all user records and platforms are completely secure around the clock.

I hope this helps.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Billy-J

As I said I have already taken the steps to secure the account and return the account as near as possible to the way it was. I was really just looking to see if anyone could shed any light on why someone would want to hack a free account?

Hey @Argentum66

Thanks for your reply! I understand your concern about this. I don't have any information as to why this can happen. However, your account's security is most at risk by breaches on other services, so to prevent this from happening again it’s best to use a strong password that you don’t use on other services.

I have sent a few links in my last reply that has steps on how to protect your account from this happening in the future, as well as a checklist to verify that any email you get from Spotify is legit.

I'd recommend that you head over to this live idea that requests the introduction of the 2 Factor Authentication feature and add your vote and comments to show your support for it. Spotify will inform you of any developments there, as soon as it becomes available. 

I hope this helps.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I just don't get why spotify has been so hesitant about adding a 2 step authentication. This is the stupidest thing i've ever seen amongst a popular app to take 2 years to consider adding an extra step of security for their paying users! I'll be blasting this all over social media as many people are fed up with this. I have 3 friends that keep getting hacked and we all have literally done everything the customer service representative has told us to do. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! FIX YOUR SILLY APP AND GET YOUR PRIORITIES CHECKED!

YOU HAVE MULTIPLE THREADS ABOUT GETTING HACKED AND YET YOU'RE STILL NOT ADDING 2 STEP AUTHENTIFICATION!

saw on a website that it might be just to stream a song that's a flop and turn it into a hit, pathetic excuse if you ask me. like... just make good music???

Suggested posts