Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why have I been assigned a ridiculous username?

Why have I been assigned a ridiculous username?

Hi, I have just signed up for Spotify from a mobile device as I was invited to join my family’s account.  I didn’t get an opportunity to choose or modify a username and now see that I have a randomly generated username of about 26 characters and no way to change it on the app or the mobile app.  How do I change it please?

2 Replies

I would REALLY like to know the answer to this too. I'm embarrassed and exhausted with mine so I have very little friends on there (because they cant find me, because my name is a paragraph of random numbers and letters..). I pay for premium so I thought at least the paid users would get the chance to choose/change. 

Hey there @gebnuaw144p33wk6367,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

When you create your Spotify account you get an automatically generated username that you can't change and which is mostly used to signify your account backstage. This username also allows the option to set any display name on your account without the need for it to be unique.

Your friends should be able to look for you using both your username and display name. Although, do note that if your Display name is commonly used, it might be a bit harder to find.

We recommend that you share a link to your profile with your friends if you want them to find you easier:

1. From the PC view of Spotify click on your Spotify Profile Name on the top right side.
  2. Select Profile and then click on the three dots under the Profile Photo.
  3. Select "Copy Link to Profile".
  4. Paste it onto any one of your messages.

You can also find the link to your profile on mobile when you open your Profile View and click on the 3 dots.

Note: If you connect Facebook to your Spotify profile your display name will be automatically set to the name you have on your Facebook account. If you add a Spotify display name, that will show instead of your Facebook name.

Hope you'll find this information useful.

Let us know if any questions arise.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts