Free/Premium

Country

irrelavant

Device

irrelavant

Operating System

irrelavanta

My Question or Issue

I have noticed that my devices can be controlled by other people on my WiFi. Now at home this is not a problem, but like many, I also visit public WiFi networks. Now if I do this, and I am using Spotify, does that mean I am opening up my devices for anyone on that WiFi network to control (spotify) my device?

If so, using this WiFi, is there a way to whitelist the accounts that can connect to my devices?

7 Replies

Hey @dkb-hi2_p6ebs, thanks for writing!

If you're referring to the personal devices in which you use your own Spotify account, then there's nothing to be concerned about. As long as you don't share your account credentials with another person, no one will be able to access your account and control what you're listening to.

However, if you're talking about a separate device in which you stream music via Spotify Connect or the device's own app (i.e. a speaker in your living room), then it's possible that the device might be controlled by another person sharing that space.

Don't worry, you'll be safe and sound while using a public WiFi network. Just make sure to take all the necessary precautions in order to protect your personal information 🙂

We hope this helps. Have an amazing day.

Thanks kindly for the response.

I can control devices that are not in this room, or not even on this floor as it is shared via WiFi. Unlike the suggestion, I do not consider this favorable, nor do I want this particular feature without explicitly enabling this per account and per device. One example of undesired behavior would be someone turning on the music on a volume that makes my cat panic.

Is there a way to white-list the accounts that can connect to my devices? So I can exclude people that are using the same WiFi.

Hey @dkb-hi2_p6ebs.

Thanks for getting back to us!

Right now, there isn't a way to manage the connection to these devices since they're available to anyone who's on the same WiFi signal.

The only way to change this, is by removing the speakers from the WiFi, and use them via Bluetooth (if possible). This way, they'll only show as available on Spotify if they're paired to your phone's Bluetooth.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

@alfredo
>>Right now, there isn't a way to manage the connection to these devices since they're available to anyone who's on the same WiFi signal.

Thanks for this.

I guess the solution is then to simply remove spotify from all WiFi devices and find another program that does not have this feature.

Enjoy your day!

Sorry to hear you feel this way.

Removing the Spotify app from your devices won't solve this. As the speakers are compatible with Spotify, any other person who has the app, and access to your WiFi, will still be able to see your speakers as an available device to cast.

However, I'll gladly pass your feedback on to the right team about this.

Cheers.

I appreciate your efferts, unfortunately I do not think this has solved the problem, however I was able to find a workaround. Admittedly,  my question has been solved, the problem however still remains. Should I mark one of the responses as solved?

I would very much appreciate if you could my 2 cents on the issue:

he problem experianced was over a shared WiFi on a PS4 for a house in multiple occupation (HMO, UK). So in such a sitation I am both not allowed to bridge the internet signal to my own WiFi network, nor can I controll who access's it. It would be brilliant if the first time someone connects to such a device (with an app interface), an question appears in the app to allow this account to controll said App on a device. This combined with a feature to delete previously allowed accounts would solve this issue for me.

Similarly, this could be implemented for whichever app controlls the device via bluetooth, this app would then allow casts via previously approved accounts.

No trouble at all!

You can mark as a solution any reply you think best addressed this situation. However, it's not required for you to choose a solution.

About the issue, I understand the inconvenience this causes when you're using your console in a public WiFi, and I'll gladly pass your feedback on to the right team.

Feel free to open a new thread if anything else comes up.

All the best!

Suggested posts