Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

block followers

block followers

I see that there are many messages about this and a ton of people complaining about the same thing.

Just adding another to the list.

Spotify, can't you get on this?  

on other social networking sites you have the option to block people and not have to be reminded of their existance whatsoever.

I love spotify but I hate having to see my ex's face when I look at my followers!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna have to cancel my spotify subscription 

21 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It is "coming soon" according to the ideas topic which requests this be added. You can read about it here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Just a reminder though, Spotify isn't a social networking site or service.

Totally agree - I have the same problem right now - am offended everytime I open my Spotify to see him there each time - it is offensive and very worrying that you can't block people - if it isn't resolved soon I will cancel my account

yep - the reallyreallyreally needs dealt with - my creepy ex is following me too.  i'm paying for this but considering unsubscribing and finding a different service.  

nonsense! spotify has made itself a social networking service by introducing the following system without asking anyone if they want to be a part of it! i was never asked if id like other people seeing all my music! i think its disgraceful that theres no way for me to switch this off at the moment! very angry

You can make your playlists and activity private. I'm not sure what else you would need? If you don't want people to know you or your persona even exist, using the internet is bad.

You should cancel! Money speaks more than anything else and when the money starts going away, they will realize that they need to consider the "basic" needs of their customers.  Spotify doesn't value their customers because they have let this be an issue for too long!  It's a HUGE problem Spotify!

Unwanted followers can lead to cyber-bullying. When are you going to allow users to control who follows/views their playlists? Are you waiting for a cyber bullying lawsuit? This is a terrific program with a terrible flaw.

@cpasallie wrote:

Unwanted followers can lead to cyber-bullying. When are you going to allow users to control who follows/views their playlists? Are you waiting for a cyber bullying lawsuit? This is a terrific program with a terrible flaw.

You are aware you can make your playlists secret (from the right click menu), so no one can see them from your profile? 

Spotify force you to have a public profile, fine. But you can make it blank by not sharing your activity (from the preferences menu) and making your playlists secret. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You guys have GOT to be kicking me.. you have to provide your costumers with SAFETY. i dont care if spotify is a social networking site or not.. if your online and have people you dont want following you, you ABSOLUTELY should have a right to block that person. For me, I have a creepy 15 year old girl following me who listens to freakin jonas brothers and she snoops through my music and listens to it.. it really borthers me. I have to agree with everyone else on here, if you guys dont fix this soon, you will have a REALLY big problem on your hands. no one wants to use a 'app' that they dont feel safe on. sorry.. if you dont fix it.. you'll lose me as a customer too.

Sorry to disagree but it definitely is. Any service where you can follow someone is a social networking service.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

This is supercreepy. And downright irritating.  I hate opening the page and seeing all those pictures pop up and think that my picture is showing on someone else's screen without my permission.

If I cannot see and block who is following me plust stop following some friends I've lost on the way, then I am gonig to cancel my subscription. one month warning. There's always napster and google.

Someone please help me out! I have had a stalker for about a year, and it is getting potentially dangerous as he has started making threats. The only thing that I cannot remove him from is Spotify. I use this app to share music with my friends. He is clearly not a friend. Because I cannot block him, he is abusing the app by sending messages. I also feel that since my music activity shows up in his newsfeed as he is a "follower," it is feeding his obsessive behavior. 

I do not want to have to use this app in private mode at all times because of this crazy person. As I stated, I use this app frequently to keep up with friends. 

PLEASE make it possible to block dangerous people!

Thank you 

Hello all,

I'm tired of waiting for this basic feature so I cancelled my Spotify subscription. I advice everyone in this forum to do the same. Once you cancel, they ask you why. I've clearly explained them why (see text below). If we all cancel and explain them why we cancel, they will have to change this privacy setting! It's our right!!

Why are you unsubscribing?

What features?

The ability to block and/or remove Followers! It's all about privacy which should be standard. Many online forums are asking/begging for this feature. We're tired of waiting. So I cancel my subscription until till this feature is implemented. I know many will follow me as it's not up to Spotify to take decisions about our privacy. The longer it takes to get this feature active, the more will change to a different music app!

WHY is this even still an issue, Spotify? This goes beyond a feature set- this is more of a basic safety and privacy concern here. From the looks of this board, many others (myself included) would like to have the ability to remove anyone we deem fit to remove from our followers lists. This is unacceptable and very, very worrisome that this feature hasn't yet been implemented. 

Help me keep the crazy out of my life I've worked so hard to remove, and allow me to block unwanted followers.  I absolutely detest that this person has knowledge and visbility into what I'm doing, especially when it's something as personal as my music, and that there's literally nothing I can do. 

This is so basic. Every single other social platform has this function implemented at MVP, so what's your excuse?  Consider this yet another request for feature from a subscriber- this issue will drive me and many others out of your app. 

Hi Spotify team

I have a subscription to one of my playlist that I can not take that person out. I only want to share that playlist with specific friends not to all. How it can happen?

I agree... It shouldn't be a huge coding issue to delete/block someone who is following you... It appears that Spotify encourages & accepts people to spy/stalk on you. I like to listen to the bands & create playlists prior to going to a show/concert. With that in mind, it gives an unwelcome follower the opportunity to know when and where you will be... That's disturbing!

Suggested posts