Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't log in because it says i'm offline

Solved!

can't log in because it says i'm offline

I somehow was signed out of my spotify acount on my android phone and now when i try to log bak in is says I am set to offline mode which I was on my acount but how am I supposed to go online if I can't sign into my account? My email and password are both correct.

331 Replies

Hey Spotify you are losing customers because you can't be bothered to fix this problem. I am cancelling because:

- you say it is solved - it is not

- your solution is a temporary fix - and a major headache to perform

- you appear not to be listening to your 'Premium' customer (I don't feel very Premium with this level of surface

- why am I paying for crappy service that doesn't meet my needs

Looking after customers who have been with you for a while should be a priority.

Good Bye

ARGH. My issue was "CLOSED" as a duplicate, but my closed issue still allows people to vote it up. Apparently, we should focus our collective power on this issue report instead:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Offline-Issue/idi-p/3259958

The comments are closed on this "official" issue report. It has a status of "Not right now" as well as a "work-around" that unfortunately does not work. If we create a new issue report, it ends up closed as duplicate.

At this point I don't know what to do to get the right eyes on this critical issue. My concern is that the Spotify project managers and developers will simply see a "Not right now" issue that appears to have a work-around and thus continue to basically ignore this problem.

People are actually cancelling their subscription over this issue--an issue that is a technical bug. It is something that should be relatively easy to troubleshoot and resolve. I am a software developer, so I don't say that carelessly.

Please, everyone who cares about this, go to this issue and vote it up.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Offline-Issue/idi-p/3259958

Annoying they aren't doing anything or saying anything new 

no, your response wasnt helpful. here is why:

a. I dont think i need to reinstall the app while i am travelling on international waters. 

if i do what you have suggested it defeats the purpose of having paid 10£ a month for the last donkeys years to have offline capability.

b. if for the sake of arguement i was to reinstall the app, while i am countries like Sri Lanka, India  or Burma or anyothers where infrastructure is an issue, i will be looking at sitting in my hotel room and downloading music for a month at Imbps speeds shared between tens of guests. 

c. the solution isnt a uninstall/reinstall app, this is a bug which spotify need to address. 

so NO this response is not useful.

I too cannot use my spotify because if this offline issue. I want a refund @spotify as you are charging me for something I cannot use and NO I will not waste my time reinstalling and re  downloading.

Spotify wants to act like their for the people y'all just a bunch crooks got us paying for something that should be free any f-ing way. This is why I dont trust things cuz of situation like this. Thanks Spotify for making me a true believer all corporations are out for one thing the poor man's money

I pay $14 dollars a darn month for the offline feature because I never have internet, and now I gotta reinstall the app And download my music all over again ?????? Excuse ?? I pay you guys money and this is what happens? Screw this **bleep**. If it isn't resolved soon, a lot more people are gonna find music elsewhere. 

Including me.

-a very pissed off Spotify user

I am pretty sure this will not be received well by all, but...I'm active in this thread because Spotify has a bug--a bug that I and many of us consider rather critical to fix. We feel like Spotify not only has ignored the problem but has failed to even properly acknowledge the issue.

Do I think the company--the people of--Spotify are crooks? No, I have no reason to believe that. Do I think Spotify should pay highly-skilled people to develop software, pay for enough storage to hold millions of songs, pay for enough bandwidth to stream songs to millions of users, pay licensing fees to the owners of the music, etc.....for free? No. That is ludicrous.

I also want talented people who create music for my enjoyment to be compensated somehow--so they may be free to create for me. We can argue over how much is fair, but to suggest that people can't make a living producing content for others to enjoy is ludicrous. These are the licensing fees paid by service providers such as radio stations, Spotify, and others.

Is it OK for people to be mad about this bug? Sure it is! But let's not derail our rather simple, direct request to fix a specific bug. Let's not turn this into a "Spotify is evil" and "Music should be free" tirade.

Can't we all just get along? 😉

I have the same problem on android and ipod. I tried logging out on my phone but now can't get logged back in because I am offline. So leaving my iPod touch logging in but it says I will be logged in 30 days. I want to download new stuff before I go on holiday I am on premium with my partner. I may consider going elsewhere.

Quickest fix people: clear all your app data.

(for Android users)

go to settings -> application manager -> spotify -> clear data & cache

Regards,

Computer Science student and all-around heroine

yah I know the same thing happened to me the other day. But here's what
worked for me without erasing your music simple just go to your Google play
app go to the Spotify app. Then just uninstall it and then reinstall and
that worked for me. try that I know how you feel I was pretty f-ing pissed
ready to go to Spotify Co. And raise **bleep**

It means that last time you were on it it was on offline mode. Then it updated and logged you out with offline mode still on

Does that mean that all your music will be gone + your premium account or can you log back as your original account?

I've got the same isue. Why is this taking soooo long to fix?

Consensus seems that you need to uninstall and reinstall the app. Your account is not lost, but you may have to re-download your offline music.

@Sanfrancyco415 suggested that doing the uninstall / reinstall within the app store prevented the offline music from being deleted. I have not tested that, and don't know why it would be any different than uninstalling the app other ways, but worth trying.

For what it's worth, I am in a Twitter support conversation with @SpotifyCares trying to see if we can figure this out. Would be great if someone who is actively having this problem would tweet @SpotifyCares so they can see this issue in the wild. Contact them BEFORE you reinstall and fix the problem.

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares

I just can't believe on this dialog...
https://twitter.com/rafaeltravel88/status/953986827848945664

Hey folks! Thanks for your reports!

Spotify is aware of the issue and they're looking into finding a fix for this. Right now, there's no timeframe for a fix, but hopefully we'll have an update soon. 

In the meantime, there's a workaround for this issue.

When you get the Please go online to connect to Spotify, just hit cancel > delete password > re-enter pw > log in.

You should be able to get back in this way, without having to reinstall the app. 

Let me know how it goes.

Take care! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the positive reply--nice to have the issue acknowledged in some kind of official manner. Unfortunately, many have reported that work-around did not help.

The good news on my end is I've not been able to reproduce the issue again since my last re-install. It has been over a week.

If this issue is truly acknowledged--as in Spotify recognizes this as a real issue, then the support staff--including the @SpotifyCares team--should respond accordingly to reports of this problem. Rather than treat people like they have some isolated, one-off issue and ask them to restart their phone, connect to WiFi, try re-installing, try work-arounds that don't work...they should respond with an up-front acknowledgement of the issue and have a case # to reference with a URL to follow the progress.

And in general, "I'm sorry you feel this way" is a terrible thing to say to a customer. That phrase suggests "I don't agree with how you feel, and I don't think it's logical for you to feel that way, but, gee, I'm sorry YOU feel that way." EMPATHIZE with the customer. "Thank you for describing the issue. Clearly this is a frustrating experience we need to address..."

To be clear, I am a Spotify fan. Looking for a win-win scenario here.

Hey folks,

Thanks for bearing with us on this. We understand the frustration. 

Right now, we're unable to present a timeframe for a fix, but we can assure you the right team have been made aware. 

In the meantime there's a work around available. If that doesn't work we'd suggest a quick reinstall of the app to get up and running again.

We'll update the official issue report as soon as we have some news. You can find the official report, and steps for the current work around, on our Ongoing Issues board here

Thanks,

Chris

So here is the problem, your "workaround" doesnt make sense for the
following reasons:

I have an offline playlist now consider i travel abroad where I do not have
access to decent broadband connections.
and the per mb connection charges are 14£

so when you say "Uninstall and Reinstall" you are practically telling me
you are oblivious to the apps downside which is it clears it cache and data
repository when you uninstall it.

to add to that, when you say "wipe the password and re-enter it" this works
when the app has crashed/caused the situation while your listening mode was
still "online"
again proving that whoever things this is a workable solution is not
thinking the Use cases through.

Can people please STOP telling others to "UNINSTALL and REINSTALL - it is
that simple"... no it is NOT and neither is the other workaround sensible.
**EDIT 1**

Please stop making daft statements that sound anything like 1. "use google play" 2. discontinue spotify ,3.move to apple music etc. this is a forum to see if  solutions to a problem can be found and if not to highlight the issues. Changing service providers is not a solution. 

Please respect the platform provided

Suggested posts