Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't log in because it says i'm offline

Solved!

can't log in because it says i'm offline

I somehow was signed out of my spotify acount on my android phone and now when i try to log bak in is says I am set to offline mode which I was on my acount but how am I supposed to go online if I can't sign into my account? My email and password are both correct.

331 Replies

I am really getting tired of having to uninstall this app on my Android phone. Then I have to download all my playlists again. I am having to do this more often lately. This morning I finally finished downloading. Then I went offline to save my bandwidth. I get home this evening and I want to listen to some music. Once again, it tells me I have to login. When I login it tells me I am offline and have to go online. How the **bleep** can I go online when this dumb app won't start. I see that this has been an issue since way back in Nov 2017 and there is still no fix. I am a Premium member, so I am paying for this every month and I am tired of having to do this. I think it is just easier to cancel and remove the dumb app. You also have one of the most confusing web sites I have ever used and I am an IT professional. I am used to figuring things out, but this site takes the cake for being confusing. Why don't you just have a Help Ticket system instead of sending people to the community? And your work around simply doesn't work.

Spotify has issues all the time on my cell phone. The fix to every issue seems to be a re-install. I've done that twice now. I'm losing my interest in this app.

I have had this issue and re-installed. After a day or two the issue has returned. Continually re-installing is not an adequate solution.  However this time in Android I tried going to Setting > Apps > Spotify and then clicked Force Stop. I then started Spotify again and hey-presto, back online.

I've only done this once so I don't know whether it will work every time, or for anyone else. I hope it helps some of you anyway until Spotify gets it fixed properly.

That is very good information. Thanks for sharing.

But, you are cleverly circumventing a bug of theirs that is months old,
and they seem to avoid taking responsibility. This is irritating.
Many of us PAY for this thing. I am becoming seriously motivated to
change that. Technically I guess you could call this a severity 2 bug
(from IBM days, "program runs but in degraded erratic mode"). A
severity 1 is "it doesn't run at all". I wonder how they will respond if
they introduce a severity 1? If it only impacts some of us (say 10,000
or so) will they just let it go? Add more features instead (like new
skins, more facebook garbage, etc.)? Do I want to find out? I'm very
busy now, but on my list is to sign up for Google music and test drive
it. I'll run in it in duplex mode against Spotify. If Google has the
lower bug count then bye bye Spotify. btw, just for me, I could care
less about all of the social media stuff on Spotify. But I care very
much that I cannot upload some of my own music to their cloud and take
advantage of it. If I was their product manager I'd be all over that.
You're fighting for customer money people. It's called "competition".
You're not a monopoly. Perhaps if enough of us demonstrate that you'll
start dealing with things impacting you bottom line.

@audiouser wrote:
That is very good information. Thanks for sharing.

But, you are cleverly circumventing a bug of theirs that is months old,
and they seem to avoid taking responsibility. This is irritating.
Many of us PAY for this thing. I am becoming seriously motivated to
change that. Technically I guess you could call this a severity 2 bug
(from IBM days, "program runs but in degraded erratic mode"). A
severity 1 is "it doesn't run at all". I wonder how they will respond if
they introduce a severity 1? If it only impacts some of us (say 10,000
or so) will they just let it go? Add more features instead (like new
skins, more facebook garbage, etc.)? Do I want to find out? I'm very
busy now, but on my list is to sign up for Google music and test drive
it. I'll run in it in duplex mode against Spotify. If Google has the
lower bug count then bye bye Spotify. btw, just for me, I could care
less about all of the social media stuff on Spotify. But I care very
much that I cannot upload some of my own music to their cloud and take
advantage of it. If I was their product manager I'd be all over that.
You're fighting for customer money people. It's called "competition".
You're not a monopoly. Perhaps if enough of us demonstrate that you'll
start dealing with things impacting you bottom line.

Duplex mode? Ever use a 2400BPS modem friend?

Check out this link (a number of pages back) - of a review of Google Play Music. If the size of the library (Google v. Spotify) is a concern, then Google is woefully behind the curve. Google also forces you to setup a Family Group if you want a family plan (like Apple).

I wanted to give Apple Music a try (they always offer a single user an annual plan v. Spotify "sometimes"). Being an Android user, though their music works on Android devices, the hook is you have to setup Family Sharing WITH an actual Apple device - there is no way to do it via the cloud. Further their IT is oblivious to the fact that Apple Music even works on Android. I have older 9.3.5 iPads and was unsuccessful in getting the Apple Music going. If things change and they offer a way via the web to setup sharing, I would give them a go. I have read they offer curated music lists. I am not so convinced with Spotify that their lists are that great. GPM definitely offers a lot of playlist options - far more than Spotify, but again their library is small.

belly

PS: I agree that we all shouldn't be searching for ways to make Spotify work - Spotify has to make this work. Personally I think the crappiest thing is that if you have music downloaded, it should by default, play that music without going offline. 

After encountering this issue for a third time, I canceled my Spotify subscription on the spot and deleted the app from my phone.

I've been a big fan of Spotify for years, and a longtime paying customer, but this is so maddening that I absolutely lost**bleep**. Bad enough that I forgot my MP3 player at home, but I couldn't even use Spotify on my phone as a backup, because I was logged out!

I will miss the premium experience, but it's time to see how competitors are doing.

I'm headed there.  Just been too busy to deal with it right.

As someone who writes software, and who has started (and sold) software companies I'm mystified by them.  This has been going on for months.  It can't be that hard to fix.  This is easily a severity 2 bug (runs, but highly degraded) and I guess a severity 1 (will not run).  

This has got to be causing cancellations by paying subscribers, not to mention bad word of mouth.  Loss of ongoing revenue usually gets companies very excited.  

Spotify is not a monopoly.  Seems to be acting like one.

Hi guys,

I am still mad enough to stay with spotify, although they don't care about their customer.

Here is a fix that workd on my android phone (with android 5.0) now since month:

1. DONT use an external SD card. Store your songs on the internal memory only.

2. BEFORE updating Spotify app, goto the app and switch to online mode. Wait a couple of minutes to let it sync.

3. Update the app

4. Start the app and run it online for another couple of minutes. 

5. Switch to offline mode

It seams that there is an issue with the access to external SD card, which may be an android issue and not an spotify problem. Just guessing.

Good luck!

I hope it can help some of you guys.

That's great, but only works if you have enough space on your internal
drive...

stkas, sorry, but I'm not going to do any of that to use an app that I'm paying for. I'll let them fix it, and if I haven't found a better alternative by then, I will return as a customer.

I have been going in and out of offline for months. The issue is RANDOM.
When I first went offline, within 2 days it burped and caused the issues
everyone screams of. That you have moved your data internally (not
viable for most) and that it hasn't failed proves nothing. If you
rebooted your phone and it then didn't work then maybe there is
something there - at least something reproducible.

Why is this marked as solved????

I set my spotify offline less than a week ago while crossing to another country knowing i hold over a thousand songs in my palm... Now im onboard a noisy ship for 12 hours with zero misic! This is the only reason i use spotify. Whats the point? 

Fix this! You have forced me to redownload all songs several times so far and i always have to find out in situations like this where it is not possible to do it. This is not solved!

Ridiculous  Account canceled

I am surprised it has not yet been fixed.

Why is this marked as 'solved'? A workaround is NOT a solution. This is very frustrating!

Carol,

Well, the funny thing is that they removed the feature that the workaround depends on, so the "solution" listed doesn't even work anymore. Thankfully, it only happens to me about once every month or two, so until I find a replacement that is better I am stuck with spotify.

It is starting to become apparent my only solution is going to be paying for another service. Because with Spotify its painfully obvious thay Spotify is unable to come up with an ongoing problem 

The workaround of hitting cancel, deleting password, and re-entering password didn't work for me just know. I had to uninstall, reinstall, and pull 3GB of downloaded music back off your servers. Enjoy the bandwidth bill I guess until the issue is fixed?

I uninstalled/reinstalled , changed Facebook Password, deleted every other
app other than the one on my S8, deleted all of my music and took
EVERYTHING down to bare bones plain Jane.. and the results were (drumroll)
Same problem even though it is connected with full 4G. tried that all again
and went through my 500GB per sec wifi... results Same thing.. Like I said
the solution for me was to pay for YouTube Red I mean you get Google Play
Music with it as well and for right about the same price... I think that
they are the exact same.

The workaround does NOT work. 😢

Uninstalling is not an option. I won't have WiFi for the next few days and I will lose the songs I've downloaded BECAUSE I won't have WiFi. This is a MAJOR bug; I can't believe it's still tagged "not right now". 

Suggested posts