Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't log in because it says i'm offline

Solved!

can't log in because it says i'm offline

I somehow was signed out of my spotify acount on my android phone and now when i try to log bak in is says I am set to offline mode which I was on my acount but how am I supposed to go online if I can't sign into my account? My email and password are both correct.

331 Replies

Wow! I  have finally have found a solution, Sell everything you own  take the proceeds from this sale and contribute all of it to the Spotify Android Developers Fund  this might provide the means for  Spotify  to   hire a decent programmer who can maybe  find a solution  to this annoying problem ....

Your garbage software is so disappointing. I'm traveling on another continent with limited access to wifi and I'm about to be on a bus for hours. Now I suddenly can't listen to the GIGABYTES of songs I had downloaded under a month ago.

Might as well have brought **bleep**ing tapes and walkman along. Thanks for nothing assholes.

Spend some money on developers. Why do I even pay for your service if you don't deliver?!

You issued tis answer jan-19th, but today is feb-19th and tris problem hasn't been solved. Why is it? When tis situation wil be solutioned?

This is at least the fifth time i've had to re-download ALL my music. Honestly, it's pathetic. I can't believe i'm a paying customer and this it the service i get. The team responsible is either lazy, inept, or doesn't give a fk, and i suspect they are cynically aware that the user base is too large for the problem to cause any real damage.

This really fks me off. 

Each time this happens, do you "resolve" it by uninstalling Spotify and re-installing? Therefore, you would be running the latest version of the app, correct?

This is the most retarded error ever. Have a programmer fix this asap. 

I am a web application developer, and unencumbered by facts agree this seems easy to fix. Here is my outside observer assumption of what the high-level problem is...

1. You are logged into the app.
  2. You put the app in OFFLINE MODE in settings.
  3. After some time or due to some event such as clearing your app data cache or perhaps a server-side session kill, your oauth token is no longer valid--effectively you are logged out of the app.
  4. Next time you start the app, it correctly identifies that you are not logged in, but the OFFLINE MODE protection is so strict that it even prevents you from logging in!

At this point you have no option but to clear all the app data to clear that OFFLINE MODE setting. Uninstalling the app accomplishes, too, of course.

I feel like the fix is something like:

const login = () => {
    const savedOfflineModeSetting = session.offlineMode
    session.offlineMode = false

// Do normal login thing now...

session.offlineMode = savedOfflineModeSetting
}

OR, just have the login bit always ignore the offline mode setting. It depends of course on exactly how these features are implemented. Regardless, I believe the fix is that offline mode should not prevent logging into the app.

For what it's worth, I'm still a happy Spotify customer. This issue only bit me once, but I'm not one of the people who rely on OFFLINE MODE to play downloaded music without connecting for days on end.

Not working 😞

Devs, please fix!!!  It has been half a year since this issue has been reported!!!

I'm switching back to google play music. This is the second time this has happened and I cant believe I am paying for this.

I actually don't know why they wouldn't fix it. Not everyone has (A)
perfect networks when outside of WIFI and (B) don't all have a great
cell plan in which they afford streaming. To me downloading and
listening when not connected to a cell network is a huge bonus. But I
agree - problems need to take precedence over new features. They are
just alienating their paying base.

your workaround simply does not work. I have an androind phone and this problems is more than 6 months old. And it is reapting constantly. As it is know, it should be solved asap. It is really not enjoyable for a premium user to keep reinstalling the app and downloading all play lists. You should really prioritize it.

I am not sure if this has been identified yet (I sent a message to Spotify's Twitter account back in October), but it appears to happen to me when Android has an update. As part of the update, Spotify logs you out. As someone in mobile app development, this is an option that Spotify has control over. So a quick work around would be to not force logout on update.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Install Android App

2. Log In

3. Go into Offline Mode

4. Update Android device

- User is logged out but still in offline mode, therefore cannot log in.

P.S. It's not much consolation, but you can clear app data instead of uninstalling and reinstalling to make the app functional again.

Apparently, my iPad let me log back in even when my status was offline (was logged out due to password change from the web browser). Still got the same problems with my Android phone though. 

Just had the problem of not being able to log into after i set the OFFLINE settings on the phone...

To fix it just go to:

Apps & Notifications -> Spotify -> Storage

then hit CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE

now you can log in normally

@maxblack, I am not surprised as I suspect this issue is Android specific. Thanks for reporting!

@whyyoualwaysnee, Correct, clearing your cache & data "works" to resolve the issue. It works because it clears your OFFLINE MODE setting. The problem is it also clears all your downloaded music which you may have spent considerable time setting up AND you may be in a place where you have no Internet access for days.

I think the thing for the devs to focus on is that the issue is we can't even log into Spotify when the app setting for OFFLINE MODE is ON.

And all your songs you downloaded to save on data while offline
vanish.......

HA HA!

Yes of course - clearing the cache is identical to
uninstalling/reinstalling. I read that Twit (twitter) support feedback
suggesting that as a solution - they are solving how to get back in, not
actually FIXING THE PROBLEM. If uninstalling/reinstalling would (A)
remember preferences and (B) not impact the downloaded content; then I
am sure as a band-aid we would be fine with that for the meantime.
Though not knowing their system or reasoning, I think their encryption
methodology is poor. It appears that they are generating a secure key
when you log into the app. Uninstalling the app/clearing the cache,
removes that key and thus voids the downloaded songs that required that
specific local key.
I would have thought the better method would be - log into the site via
the app - it then downloads the key and uses that to encrypt the music -
they could integrate the local specs to ensure there is no cross-
polination (copying to friends and lovers). And their system would check
the date/time stamp to ensure that media is not played beyond 30d (which
is reset once they log in again). Of course reinstalling the app would
require WIFI including logging in --- and the app would download the key