Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot invite family member

Solved!

cannot invite family member

Hi,

recently upgraded my account to family, added my little brother, seems to work. But now I cant add my other brother. Shouldnt it be possible to add up to 4 family members? Invite button is not shown in family section of my account settings.

Best

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Dmcg67

Did you get an email receipt from Spotify for your subscription purchase?

In it, it shows the Spotify username you paid for:

Username/ID:        xxxxxxx

Logout of the app, and be sure to use it, instead of your email address, to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

If you didn't get any email receipt, sometimes the amount gets 'on hold' even if the charge doesn't go through. Normally the amount gets back to your bank account a day or two later.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

74 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

How many users did you select that you'd like to invite to your plan? I can remember that you first had to say you'd like to x users, but if you want an extra user you'll have to cancel the subscription and wait untill it drops to free so you can subscribe again with the extra user.

Please let me know if that's not the case here.

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I guess I selected 1 only ... but I cant recall right now.

So, I have to cancel and re-upgrade now? Will this take one month to show effect or can I do this the same day?

I think I dont have to mention that the Spotify people must be kidding, right? 🙂

Ciao

Hi there, and did it work at the same day or was there a delay until the end off you subscription periode? 

Thanks, Maex

yes it seems to work instantly, didnt notice any double discount from my
bank account yet. give it a try!

can any one from spotify confirm that we need to cancel our account to add more people to our family
?

Hi @Coleleighw 

Yes, you'll have to cancel your subscription. Once your account is on the free plan, you can subscribe for the Family plan again.

You may also get in touch with Spotify so they can cancel it immediatly (because you'll have to wait for your account to drop to free, which happens at the date given in your account).

It will work immediately, you must not wait until the account is dropped to free at date given at your account. You can instantly go to the /family site an use the upgrade button. And then you will be asked how many members you will invite. Unfortunately you can not change this count after the order was done. For my oppinion this process design is realy ugly. I did this one week ago, the credit card isn't chared, it will be charged at the day it was used to charge. 

maex

I can't believe I can't add/edit the family members on the family plan after the fact.  Spotify, you have 5 day's to fix this.  Dropping Premium account now.

@fwhite40 

From the family help guide:

What if I want to add another subaccount to my plan?

The number of subaccounts (i.e. the number of people you can invite) that you selected during signup cannot be changed. You may however cancel the subscription – at which point all members of the plan revert to Free level subscriptions if the current billing month lapses. You would then sign up again, selecting the number of subaccounts you want. You may re-invite the people you want to keep on the plan.

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

If you want, you can contact support here:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star

So there is no way to add people to my family without stopping the subcription ?

yes, but it is no problem. You can stop the subscription and then start over and add the members you want. I could do it in the middle of a subscription period without loosing the rest of the period.

Matthias

Tried to end subcription and had a hard time with that.

Tried to change subscription and that did not help.

How do i do this step by step without beeing double charged or go to free version?

I do not want to leave Spotify so why do i feel forced to do that?

Please advice....

Are you kidding me? I am beginning to wonder whether Spotify is run by humans at all. Their actions just seem too bizarre to be of terrestial origin. Not only can you not sort search results anymore, but they removed the filter option from playlists, "choose as current playlist" (my most used function for queueing stuff up, then selecting a playlist (which I did numerous times a day) and made the player sluggish, it also randomly stops now without displaying any error message. I regret signing up for a family plan after having been a customer since the service's inception, they simply do not listen to their customers at all. 

To top it all, to add another family member, you must default to free spotify first, thus deleting the offline playlists on your mobile devices. (which can be 40+GB). I am done supporting a company that once had a great software, but chose to ignore its customer base for some banal reason. 

@vagabo1 

Check out the family help guide here:
https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

Also check out this thread for information:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Spotify-Family-Q-amp-A/td-p/988520

MattSudaSpotify Star

I have a family plan.

I invited my wife.

Now I want to invite my brother  -- to do so I need to cancel and re-sign up?? 

I'm supposed to be able to invite 5 people for a family plan. Where's the simple invite button?

And then what if I drop to a free account.... Invite my brother.... Then a month from now I want to use another invite --- I need to go through that ridiculous process again??? Cancel and resubscribe to add each person? Huh?

It's like... ummm... okay....  if your system is friggin broken and stupid that way. But at least KNOW that it's something that needs to be fixed...  Especially when the page says 'Click Invite' with no invite button... At least make it clear that it doesn't work that way. For $14.95 premium thing with other choices out there now... You might want to get on this... Because I'm so annoyed by this bs that I wrote this whole post.

Capturwe.JPG

Amen.

This is bizarre.  What kind of system requires you to cancel your account to add more people?  What happens to my playlists?  Do I lose them when I cancel my account?

I have the same question, what happens to playlists if I cancel/revert to free then upgrade to a larger family plan???

hi,
nothing's ng happen tu your playlist. You cann you apps untouched. Do the cancel and resubscription on the website .
I thing this is real awful business process sptify has designed, but it works.
maex

Suggested posts