Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

family member and student discount question

Solved!

family member and student discount question

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8+

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

One of my family members signed up for the student discount in my name - how do I make sure that I alone will be able to get the student discount? When I go to set it up I get a message saying "Your student credentials are already associated with another Spotify account."

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @balbertsp ! 🙂

When the student discount is activated on an account it becomes locked to that one for the entire year. It is not transferrable even if you cancel the account. I have copied Spotify's explanation for that below.
You can also find more info regarding the plan on the Student support page
I hope it helps answer your question and have a great day! 🙂

Can I move my discount to another account? 

No. You are entitled to only one account with the student discount at a time, and that discount lasts for 12 months even if you cancel the subscription or close the account.

If you want to apply your student discount to another account, you need to wait until 12 months have elapsed since you first signed up for it on your current account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @balbertsp ! 🙂

When the student discount is activated on an account it becomes locked to that one for the entire year. It is not transferrable even if you cancel the account. I have copied Spotify's explanation for that below.
You can also find more info regarding the plan on the Student support page
I hope it helps answer your question and have a great day! 🙂

Can I move my discount to another account? 

No. You are entitled to only one account with the student discount at a time, and that discount lasts for 12 months even if you cancel the subscription or close the account.

If you want to apply your student discount to another account, you need to wait until 12 months have elapsed since you first signed up for it on your current account.

**bleep**...so I guess I'll just buy premium for a year then while I wait. Once it becomes unlocked how do I go about getting myself verified?

Hey again @balbertsp ! 🙂
Spotify will send a renewal notice email to the associated account when it is close to reaching the 12 month expiration. You would need to let it expire in order to activate it on a different one.
Best of luck and enjoy your day! 🙂 

Hello.

Unfortunately, the Spotify Students Premium is locked onto the registered account for 12 months. Until that time is over, you will not be able to transfer the Premium membership to another account, even if the account is deactivated.

Once the 12 months come to an end, the account registered with the Students Premium will be sent an email, stating that the 12 months are due to expire, and that the Premium status will need to be renewed. At that point, you can decide not to renew the membership on that account, but start it on your account, rather than your family member's.

I hope this answers your question.

Please be aware that I do not work for Spotiify, nor am I associated with it in any way.

Suggested posts