Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

is it possible to block a certain artist?

Solved!

is it possible to block a certain artist?

is it possible to block a certain artist from showing up in your feed and in your autoplay? for example, i really really hate the weeknd, is it possible for me to block his songs from autoplaying on playlists (i.e top 40, etc)?

65 Replies

Do not just consider, click that button to cancel your paid subscription. Some other stream service will read this and hopefully they will add a block button. Your the one who is paying, not the record company!

It's ridiculous that you can't block a song or artist. My Daily Mix had Paul Anka singing "Having My Baby". **bleep**???? That song should be banned from existing anywhere. My ears are burning. I'm not even that old so no idea why Spotify thought that would be a good song for me.

Hey @Maxim - the Spammer, This post is not solved. Remove you post. STOP requesting likes and "Solution" badge that is missleading Spotify Tech team. You do not solve anything here, you are spamming and affecting the solution process. I reported your post as Inappropriate content, and everyone else should do so.

In response to the original post. In radio mode, the dislike button is supposed address the request of blokcing artsists, however the feature DOES NOT WORK. You would still hear the same song and artist over and over. It's a bug, and Spotify is doing NOTHING to push the ticket to priority level.

Maxim's post prevents engineers from getting alerted about this bug. 

Great idea I've reported the 'Solved' too.

I understand that it is really, really hard to program a functionality to filter and / or blacklist certain artists, but please give me an easy option to block Adele and Justin Bibber

Nothing worse than a song with explicit or extremely suggestive lyrics coming on a car ride with the family...  (:

The parents look at each other and yell out loud SPOTIFY!!

I don't use spotify anymore. Its unbelivable that no way exists to block unwanted music. Its a joke that spotify said its solved...

I'm facing the same issue. Discover Weekly is constantly showing me an aritst I hate. I've been skipping his songs since weeks and Discover Weekly is smart enough to bring it back to irrititate me.

This might be a deal breaker for me.  I have really enjoyed Spotify up to this point, but the program just does not get the clue that I don't like a particular Artist.  I have even Thumbed Down specifc Tracks multiple times and they still keep popping up in various other Auto-Generated Playlists / Radio Station and in the Auto-Play option for my own Playlists that don't contain any of this Artist's songs.  When will the algorithm get the clue that I don't want to hear any of his music!

Considering how long this has been on the backlog, I have very little confidence that Spotify is actually listening to its Listeners.  In fact, this is one of about 12 Issues I have researched for Spotify where the Answer is that there is NO SOLUTION.  Things as simple as sorting your Playlists alphabetically!  Seriously?  That wasn't in the original design?  This only encourages me to look elsewhere for my music entertainment needs.

I have to agree with you.  I enjoy many aspects of Spotify but I will start looking for a service that allows you to block certain songs and artists.

I feel that Spotify has a tight arrangement financially and content wise with the major labels and they might be telling Spotify in Sweden what to do.  If this is the case, it's a shame as I feel this option to BLOCK AND HIDE ARTISTS AND SONGS SHOULD BE LEFT TO THE USERS!

Hopefully they will listen if enough people insist on it or a smart competitor includes this option.

I love Spotify for its integration, finding new songs and artists via song radio and playlists. But everyone has an artist or three that they can't stand. That is music isn't it? As much as I love having new music if they keep forcing me to listen to the stuff I've clearly said I don't like then a competitor will.

I want to be able to permanently wipe Alina Baraz from my Spotify. I saw her performance when a he opened for a major performer in town and I can’t stand her ever since. I keep disliking her music on the radio stations but it keeps appearing on the same radio stations. I know this is on purpose because you’ve been asked by the labels to push more plays for her but what about the people that don’t like her music??? Please help make Spotify less cringeworthy!!!!

This is ridiculous that they would turn something like this down. How many times in a row do I have to downvote the same artist, let alone the same songs that show up over and over again in my radio playlists from the same genre. Downvoting does nothing, it just shows right back up. 

I'm guessing there can be some conflict of interest here. Imagine Spotify getting paid, by a label, for promoting an artist. They can only charge by number of times an artist songs were played not by if anyone liked it or went to buy an album after listening etc. Hence, they will be reluctant to implementing the option requested here.

It would be really nice if it was possible doing that. 

Well we pay spotify don't we? No need to be greedy spotify is pretty much a monopoly anyway deezer is useless

This would be a great feature.. I use Spotify around the house with Google Home for my daughter listening to nursery rhymes etc and some of the automatically chosen artists/songs aren't even in English. There is no way of getting around this.. 

I'd love to ban Ted Nugent if possible. 

Still waiting. I begin to believe that certain artists pay to be advised, i keep disliking but seems to be pointless

The fun part of this topic is that still no Spotify employee stood up to reply normally on this.

In an everyday situation where (you/some people) pay for something that isn’t working, you would go back to that store and ask for a credit/repair and most store-owners would help you immediately as it is an service that gives kudo’s to their store.

Spotify however put on an ‘ignore all’ because most customers do not find their way to complaint or are not visible as persons (why should an message be someone?!). And I feel sorry that they get away with terrible service.

Would it be possible  (maybe there is an app already), to make an app/script that reads the current track and checks with your local database if it needs to be skipped? You could also add the songs that you don’t like through this, but it would not be that hard to make. Unfortunately I do not have the programming skills to make such an app but I would very welcome it. Even though I quit my subscription, sometimes Spotify is the only option for me...

Suggested posts