Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

is it possible to block a certain artist?

Solved!

is it possible to block a certain artist?

is it possible to block a certain artist from showing up in your feed and in your autoplay? for example, i really really hate the weeknd, is it possible for me to block his songs from autoplaying on playlists (i.e top 40, etc)?

65 Replies

Apparently the plan is to bring this issue up at the share holders meeting...

The fact that Spotify is ignoring this issue means there might be something more insidious in play here.

So the "Idea" to block certain artists or songs was closed without being implemented. Spotify's "full disclosure" on the reason for not implementing the idea was nothing of the sort. No reason is provided, i.e. no disclosure.

I used to use Pandora but it is now unavailable in Australia. Pandora would stop playing any disliked songs, and if you disliked enough songs by a particular artist it would rarely play any of their songs.

The only problem with Pandora was that you couldn't make a playlist to play exactly what you wanted, or skip unlimited numbers of songs. I also found that when you liked a song, particularly from an artist like Led Zeppelin, you'd get the same song playing from a million different live albums and compilations from the last 40 years.

Anyway, if I play a certain radio station based on a band like Rise Against I don't want to kiddy punk rock like Good Charlotte, or generic heavy pop rock like Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, or Three Days Grace. I want to hear more Bad Religion, Ignite and Billy Talent. Liking and disliking tracks seems to have no effect, plus I have to wait for them to start playing before I can do this. It's bad enough on my PC when I'm sitting at my work desk, but I'm not going to get my phone out of my pocket every time a rubbish song comes on while I'm sitting on the bus or at the gym.

Of course the way around this is to build my own playlists, but then I don't hear anything new.

Maybe an idea would be to copy other people's playlists and edit them myself. Actually, I'm going to submit this idea now..

You were censored by Spotify. Can you link to your tool again? Spotify seems like an evil dictatorship making use of extensive censorship. Not cool.

Spotify please make it possible to block Chris Brown, R. Kelly and Kanye West. If you don't make this possible, then you support sexual and violent abuse of women and children. You should do the right thing and not enable and encourage criminal activity. I hope you will make the right decision and stand on the right side of the law.

Im glad I'm never spending money on this app. I just uninstalled it for good. You scared away a potential customer. I will never waste my money until this issue is fixed and I can block forced suggestions.

Pandora can enjoy my money instead.

**bleep** make this happen. please. modern lovers pop up no matter how many times i thumb down. they suck!

I also want this feature. Spotify please implement it

Hopefully this would be implemented soon. And hopefully there's also a way to block entire genres. I just want to block out forever those Korean whatever. Not that they play on my account, thankfully they don't. But it is very irritating seeing some of them being suggested somewhere within the app. Ugh!

This should definitely be a feature! I love the Generated playlists  function (Radio) from a rooted song or a playlist, but I've been getting a certain artist from all angles, whose voice I just can't stand, and even thought I thumbs down each track by them... I still get items from them, very frustrating.

So you expect me to pay for this when I can't even listen to Album Radio without some particular artist pissing me off all the time. This seriously sucks and I will not continue with the subscription.

Yes please add this funcionality. I really, really don't want any Sean Paul, Gavin deGraw or Maroon 5 coming up. It just ruins my moment, whenever, wherever. I'm on a trial subscription, but without functionality like this i will not continue my subscription for there are better services that do. 

I totally agree on this case. I pay premium to listen to what I want but the 'promoting' of certain artists is really annoying. I'm not extending my subscription after the summer because Spotify does not care about my favourite music and they tell me what to listen but not vice versa. And this is wrong in modern times when complex algorithms can be created to offer unheard music but after months of listening to jazz, indie, soul, electro I get offered..... Drake. THIS IS A JOKE!

Obviously Spotify don't use any sort of algorithm to match up similar types of music or music liked by people who like the same songs/artists/genres.

And I totally agree with the above poster... What is up with this Drake rubbish? It's everywhere on Spotify and I've never listened to it on Spotify and it's nothing like anything I do listen to. 

Go home, Spotify. You're drunk.

Obviously they make money from playing Drake.

I'm amazed at how poor spotify is at this type of thing, especially given how long it's been  around.

I moved from google music to spotify because the family plan made more sense for my setup.

I've been constantly dissapointed since. Artist radios play the same songs all the time and it is unable to learn from my activity.

Please sort it out or I'll be going back to google music.

Hey Spotify! You should really take care of your customers better than this or you will go the same way as, as, uh, well, don't worry! We will forget your name too! 

(What do we have here? Just another company that stopped innovating and then got driven into the ground by Google)

i used to be able to remove/ block artists that i am against, based on their political or ethnical or cultural bealives, and now I am stuck listening artists who hate my race and there is no button to block them. Why is that Spotify, why you chose to remove that feature. Is that your policy, to support artists who hate people based on their nationality or religious bealives or race ? 

Spotify are you racist ??????!!!! As long as money flow no side is chosen ?

Yup....purely money and greed. Coming from a PAID service this is unacceptable.

This simple request has been around for YEARS and Spotify chooses to ignore their customers.

Your loss.

Today I was listening to Metallica, Dio, Ozzy, and other excellent bands.  At the end of my playlist it began playing music from other artists on its own.  No problem ususally, but to play Ted Nugent is an affront to all the bands above.  Please make a feature to ignore an artist completely.

This is not solved. How hard can it be to program a function to let users block artists and music styles they don't like. Is it about money and artists and rappers who pay to get their music pushed?

Spotify and others are ignoring their users, and I will switch directly to the service who will provide a blocking feature.

Yes, the feature was just released recently.

Spotify do not play artist feature

Suggested posts