Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Please install Spotify using a normal account instead of an admininstrator account" - What?

Solved!

"Please install Spotify using a normal account instead of an admininstrator account" - What?

I just bought Spotify and tried to run the Installer on Windows 7 but it won't install -- I get the message in the Subject header.

What do I need to do?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Right click on the program icon before double clicking it. then choose run as admin. If that don't work right click on the icon again and click trouble shoot capatability then it will ask you if it fix the problem. Before you choose one do the install for the last time then if it works which it did for me then choose save these settings and enjoy..Hope this helped..

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

This is what worked for me:

1. Find the folder where you downloaded the installer (setup file) to. If you're using firefox, click on the little arrow in the upper right corner, then right-click "Spotify-Setup.exe" and select "Open Containing Folder."

2. Right-click SpotifySetup, select "Share with..." and then select "Homegroup." If you set up your network as a work computer this might be called something different, not sure. Basically it needs to be shared.

3. Double-click and run it like normal.

Marked as solution

This worked for me:

Right Click: run as an administrator (this WONT work).

Next normal click, this WILL work.

Marked as solution

just right click on the installer, and click properties. Then click "compatibility" and check the box that says "run in compatibility mode" and make sure the dropdown is selecting windows 7. Click OK, then run. Voila.

Marked as solution

you need activate all admissions:

1-Propriaties of installer

2-safety

3-advanced 

4- click 2 times in your administrator user

5-and click in total control 

6-and click in OK

7-now close all windows and run the instaler

8-now it is work

ScreenShot_20170703225332.png
ScreenShot_20170703225621.png
ScreenShot_20170703225752.png
Marked as solution

1. Download the full installer (http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe)

2. Run installer

3.Open File explorer and Navigate to C:\users\(Yourusername)\Appdata\Roaming\Spotify

4. Installer will give you an error, but all the required files to run will appear in this folder. DO NOT CLOSE OUT OF THE INSTALLER JUST YET.

5. Copy all content in this folder and navigate to either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)

6. Create a folder called "Spotify" and copy everything into that folder. You can now close the installer.

7. Create a shortcut to the EXE called "Spotify.exe" and put it on your desktop, You should have access to spotify.

54 Replies

Try to Install Spotify with Administrator privileges. Just click installer and click Run as Administrator. If this does not help, create another account to your Windows and try again. You can also try account without admin rights.

Oh, and welcome to the community!

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

The installer doesn't have an option for Admin login, so I'm stumped. In order to create another user name, do I need another facebook acct., too?

You can just right-lick in your mouse in Spotify Installer and then select Install as Administrator.

If you want to try then another Windows account, just create it in Windows - you do not need any other Facebook account for this.

Also if you downloaded installer outside Spotify.com, just download clean installer and see what happens.

You always should download Spotify from Spotify.com. www.spotify.com/download

Also you can install older Spotify and try then what's going on with this old one.

http://www.download.fi/general/download_splash.cfm/spotify?software_id=2721&version_id=40425 (Tested, official old package).

Spotify should update itself when you finish older version installation.

Let me know how this works for you! 😃

Thanks a lot 😄 By installing the old packages i managed to get it on my admin account 😄 

This has been the last straw. What is wrong with installing as administrator? Let me do my system administration. Obviously they don't want people using their software. I am done with Spotify.

I agree, this is really ridiculous. I don't want to create another account, nor do I want to install some old executable of questionable origin on my computer. Why in God's name can't I install a program as an adminstrator? Who better to install a program?  

Hello there. All you need to do is right click the installer which you will probably find in the downloads folder, and chose to run it in compatability mode (XP SP3). This will allow you to download and install spotify and it will work normally afterwards.

🙂

Worked fine 🙂

I wonder if you computer geeks know how completely useless your advice is to the average user?  Its like not being able to start your car and I tell you to check the voltage on your points...you don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  There is no "uploader" for me to right click on, only a message that pops up saying it won't work because I'm the administrator.  The link that other guy put worked, so I'm now on Spotify, but if it had not I'd have used some other service.  Spotify is so-so, bordering on suck, because there is no good reason for it not to work on the administrator account, other than to just be a pain in the butt.

Erm, its not hard BobGoblin...its called GOOGLE! how do you think most of these "geeks" (its actually common sense) know it.

Marked as solution

Hi Right click on the program icon before double clicking it. then choose run as admin. If that don't work right click on the icon again and click trouble shoot capatability then it will ask you if it fix the problem. Before you choose one do the install for the last time then if it works which it did for me then choose save these settings and enjoy..Hope this helped..

omg thank you so much it actually worked! ( the trouble shoot complatbility thing) 

Okay guys heres what you do, log out of spotify and close your browser (Enternet explorer, Chrome, firefox, etc) Now what your going to do is hit the windows button (the one on your task bar)  and select computer. Find your downloads folder and open in up, once you find Spotifiy click it and it should download and run fine regardless of  Administrative powers or not.

Marked as solution

This is what worked for me:

1. Find the folder where you downloaded the installer (setup file) to. If you're using firefox, click on the little arrow in the upper right corner, then right-click "Spotify-Setup.exe" and select "Open Containing Folder."

2. Right-click SpotifySetup, select "Share with..." and then select "Homegroup." If you set up your network as a work computer this might be called something different, not sure. Basically it needs to be shared.

3. Double-click and run it like normal.

@Pgriswold - Thanks for sharing!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

EDIT: this "forum" or whatever need remove message button for own messages...

poopy desing error

Marked as solution

This worked for me:

Right Click: run as an administrator (this WONT work).

Next normal click, this WILL work.

Hello, I had the same problem too. I kept downloading and downloading it over and over, but the trick is:

You might just have to open it up from the file in your library. If your on your browser and you click download after saving the file, it doesn't work (at least for me and i have Windows 7, too), so just click (or go to your library and go to downloads) to go to the file and download it from there. It's as simple as that!

I think this works because I had done this before, but then my computer decided to reboot and go back in memory (if that makes sense) and I forgot to do this, so I couldn't download it. I finally remebered =]

Suggested posts