"Please install Spotify using a normal account instead of an admininstrator account" - What?

Solved!

"Please install Spotify using a normal account instead of an admininstrator account" - What?

sobsey
Casual Listener

I just bought Spotify and tried to run the Installer on Windows 7 but it won't install -- I get the message in the Subject header.

What do I need to do?

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Bridgeth16

Hi Right click on the program icon before double clicking it. then choose run as admin. If that don't work right click on the icon again and click trouble shoot capatability then it will ask you if it fix the problem. Before you choose one do the install for the last time then if it works which it did for me then choose save these settings and enjoy..Hope this helped..

View solution in original post

Solution!

Pgriswold

This is what worked for me:

1. Find the folder where you downloaded the installer (setup file) to. If you're using firefox, click on the little arrow in the upper right corner, then right-click "Spotify-Setup.exe" and select "Open Containing Folder."

2. Right-click SpotifySetup, select "Share with..." and then select "Homegroup." If you set up your network as a work computer this might be called something different, not sure. Basically it needs to be shared.

3. Double-click and run it like normal.

Solution!

bartuy

This worked for me:

Right Click: run as an administrator (this WONT work).

Next normal click, this WILL work.

Solution!

ye_olde_english

just right click on the installer, and click properties. Then click "compatibility" and check the box that says "run in compatibility mode" and make sure the dropdown is selecting windows 7. Click OK, then run. Voila.

Solution!

rodrigohbastos

you need activate all admissions:

1-Propriaties of installer

2-safety

3-advanced 

4- click 2 times in your administrator user

5-and click in total control 

6-and click in OK

7-now close all windows and run the instaler

8-now it is work

ScreenShot_20170703225332.png
ScreenShot_20170703225621.png
ScreenShot_20170703225752.png
Solution!

TinyBatman
Casual Listener

1. Download the full installer (http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe)

2. Run installer

3.Open File explorer and Navigate to C:\users\(Yourusername)\Appdata\Roaming\Spotify

4. Installer will give you an error, but all the required files to run will appear in this folder. DO NOT CLOSE OUT OF THE INSTALLER JUST YET.

5. Copy all content in this folder and navigate to either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)

6. Create a folder called "Spotify" and copy everything into that folder. You can now close the installer.

7. Create a shortcut to the EXE called "Spotify.exe" and put it on your desktop, You should have access to spotify.

54 Replies

RitaSwan

I had to move the file to my D drive.

Solution!

rodrigohbastos

you need activate all admissions:

1-Propriaties of installer

2-safety

3-advanced 

4- click 2 times in your administrator user

5-and click in total control 

6-and click in OK

7-now close all windows and run the instaler

8-now it is work

ScreenShot_20170703225332.png
ScreenShot_20170703225621.png
ScreenShot_20170703225752.png

Saturnal

The unique solution that works for me was: right click file > "solve compatibility problems" (i'm using Windows 10 in portuguese-br) ... so, windows start the download/install and vòila!

brie69

This is what I did and it worked for me.

1) Start Windows in Safe mode with Network

Here's how :  http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

2) Locate the downloaded file and install.

4) Once completed, Spotify will open as it should.

5) Restart back in Normal mode and you should be good to go.

perkypat
Casual Listener

Safe mode is not an option (laptop is encrypted).

Please Spotify, can someone help me?

Seems crazy that I can install anything apart from Spotify on my laptop. Why is it not possible to install using Admin rights????

perkypat
Casual Listener

None of the above worked for me.

Am using a networked drive at work.

Can't change compatibility mode (as on a shared drive).

If I copy installer to my HD, I am forced to do this as Admin - I can then change the compatibility settings but then get an error saying I can't install as Admin!!!!

Any ideas??? I can installer all other applications easily, not sure why Spotify is not working

tyfferegle
Casual Listener
Portableapps.com

perkypat
Casual Listener
Couldn't find Spotify on Portable apps...

renee_jana

I tried all these ways listed up here but nothing worked.. What worked for me was to not install withe the Spotify-Installer but to save the programm in a folder on my PC (it was named "FullSpotifySetup32") and when I double clicked on this, Spotify finally opened and worked again.

Solution!

ye_olde_english

just right click on the installer, and click properties. Then click "compatibility" and check the box that says "run in compatibility mode" and make sure the dropdown is selecting windows 7. Click OK, then run. Voila.

gudbuddy
Casual Listener
Thanks for the tip but I also found that if I open the file from my downloads folder in file explorer it installs ok. It only causes problems if I try to install from the downloads icon in the browser. No idea why this is so.

lucasssantos

Compatibilidade de sistema, mude para win 7, ou win 8, no windows 10 não funcionou tive que alterar a configuração para compatibilidade.

gudbuddy
Casual Listener

I have windows 8.1 and installed spotify by running the compatability troubleshooter. It suggested windows 8 and when I ran it it worked!

drake2k
Regular

If anyone is still having trouble with this... On windows 8, I right clicked the file after downloading and chose properties.  I then clicked 'unblock' and 'apply'.  That allowed me to install spotify without getting the error that a non-administrator account is required.

MERT

Hello, I had the same problem too. I kept downloading and downloading it over and over, but the trick is:

You might just have to open it up from the file in your library. If your on your browser and you click download after saving the file, it doesn't work (at least for me and i have Windows 7, too), so just click (or go to your library and go to downloads) to go to the file and download it from there. It's as simple as that!

I think this works because I had done this before, but then my computer decided to reboot and go back in memory (if that makes sense) and I forgot to do this, so I couldn't download it. I finally remebered =]

Solution!

bartuy

This worked for me:

Right Click: run as an administrator (this WONT work).

Next normal click, this WILL work.

larni

Thankyou this worked for me after trying SO many other things!

anacrusis79
Casual Listener

This worked for me as well. Double clicking the setup file or running it from the browsers download manager (chrome) gave me the said error. Locating the file in the download folder, right click and choosing run as administrator gave me the same error as well.

Right click and choose Open worked. 

perkypat
Casual Listener

This was fixed when I upgrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Now after a recent Spotify update, the same issue is happening.

I have tried the following:

* Downloaded full installer and double clicking - Error code 13 - necessary files could not be created

* Tried running as administrator (says a normal account is needed, not admin)

* Changed compatibility settings to XP (says a normal account is needed, not admin)

* Tried right clicking and choosing 'open' - Error code 13 again

* Running installer and checking Appdata Roaming - only empty Spotfiy folder is created - there are no installation files inside.

This is so bizarre, no other application fail to install.

My machine is encrypted and on a business network, so cannot install using safe mode.

TinyBatman
Casual Listener

PM me and I'll try to help you out

SUGGESTED POSTS