Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Report Playlist" is being abused

"Report Playlist" is being abused

I have been a Spotify customer from as close to day 1 of your platform as I think it is reasonably possible. I have always sang it's praises, and recommended it to friends. However, the past few months have been nothing but an annoyance thanks to this abuse of your platform. Not only this, but it is impacting my ability to release my OWN music on your platform as I can no longer make my own artist playlists anymore.

I created a number of movie-inspired playlists many years ago which I used myself. However, due to their wide collection of the movie music, they gained a lot of popularity.

My Pirates of the Caribbean playlist has over 4400 likes, and was at the top of the search results for a while.

However, a few months ago, somebody started reporting my playlist for copyright infringement. The image and name of the playlist was getting removed. This must have happened 5-10 times over the course of a few months. I just ignored it, knowing full well it was a fake report, and uploaded a new image and renamed the playlist again.

It wasn't until the last time, when Spotify removed my ability to rename ANY playlist, or add any description or image that it really bothered me. Now I cannot update my own personal playlists anymore, or create new ones without the default playlist name.

The report feature is getting abused repeatedly to lower the popular playlists within the search results to boost other peoples playlists higher. I've received hundreds of emails over my time making these playlists, from artists offering to pay me to put their music in my playlists to promote them. I always declined, but I wonder if these people reporting the playlists at the top are getting paid by artists and so they need to increase their search result ranking. Just an assumption, I don't know this for sure.

Anyway. Please reinstate my ability to edit my own playlists. This is ridiculous. If you are going to suggest I'm infringing copyright, please do a Spotify search for "Pirates of the Caribbean" and do the same to the hundreds of smaller playlists that also do the same thing.

image.pngimage (1).png

1 Reply

Hey @tylertrevell ,

Thanks for coming to the Community 🙂

In this case, it's best to reach out to Spotify's Support Team so that they can look into this for you.

You can contact them here.

Hope this helps!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts