Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

APP WILL NOT SAVE TO INTERNAL SD CARD, KEEPS DELETING DATA

Solved!

APP WILL NOT SAVE TO INTERNAL SD CARD, KEEPS DELETING DATA

This issue has been occurring for many years.

Please I am tired of being told that it is my fault and I must uninstall and delete all my data,  reinstall, etc the customers should not be punished because the product is faulty. 

Will this issue ever be fixed?

the spotify app often, seemingly at random, just deletes your entire music library and then sets the new location to internal storage instead of external

my family and i are taking our business elsewhere. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @venom400,

Thank you for your reply. 

Since we're unable to process a refund from our end, we suggest you contact our folks from Customer Support.

In any case, we'd like to keep looking into this to help you with the issue you're experiencing. If you'd like to continue as well, please share with us the info requested above, it will greatly help us keep investigating to find the best solution.

Remember the Community and the mod team will be here for you. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Agree! I'm so damn tired of this bug! I'm swedish and I'm ashamed of this lack of skills to solve this problem. It's a HUGE problem when you download your tracks before a trip just to see all your downloads gone while abroad.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you try removing the SD card, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD? Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache. Are there any changes?

If possible, it's a good idea to try with another SD card to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes. 

Ver Moderator

Yes I tried this and the error persisted at the next update

have ran this with many different sd cards since 2015

thanks though sorry

Hi @venom400,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Whenever an issue with SD cards comes up, we need to try different steps in order to narrow down the issue and understand if the cause is the card itself, the app, the device or other factors. 

With this said, let us know if you're able to try with a different SD card.

In addition, please check that there are no cache clearing apps running for Spotify. Keep in mind that even if you didn't install such apps, some devices have them preinstalled and they may affect downloads. 

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

NO THAT DID NOT WORK 

And that was very cumbersome!!

Please let me make something very very clear I don't know if you work for spotify or if any one that does will read this::

This issue is unacceptable. The app needs to be taken off of the market entirely until this issue is gone. You cannot ask people to just randomly download several gigabytes of data in the middle of their day it will fry their machines it won't cost them time and money it is a huge inconvenience this is not a simple little whoopsy this is not a cosmetic issue this is a major major functional issue that needs to be fixed .

I paid for theFamily plan and now my entire family is subject to this stress no thank you no thank you no thank you !!!!!

I will switch out my entire phone and phone service entirely just to go to Apple music just to spite you 

THIS ISSUE BAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR 7 YEARS!!!!! 

STOP BLAMING THE CUSTOMER!!!!!!!

I apologize for my rage, its just its like sometimes its as if it isnt random but its someone remotely trying to inconvenience me, because I always get that god awful "Downloading 1 out of 3765" notification right at the worst times

Het @venom400,

Thank you for your reply.

We completely understand where you're coming from, and we know how upsetting this issue can be after going on for so long. That's why we want to do our best to identify what's happening and help you solve it. 

We'd greatly appreciate it if you could try using a different SD card, this can give us more insights about the issue. 

Also, please don't forget to let us know if you were able to check that your phone isn't running any cache clearing app for Spotify.

As always, we'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator

"We'd greatly appreciate it if you could try using a different SD card, this can give us more insights about the issue."

I have tried other SD cards, everything else on my SD cards is always fine. 

It seems to be happening twice a month every year since 2015. I'm willing to bet it's probably the same day and time when it happens too for everyone. I was just looking at my app and my data said that it was on my SD card and it was all downloaded, My Google assistant was just randomly not working with spotify I turned everything off and on again and lo and behold spotify has erased everything again like it loves to do

Premium ought to be free for everyone until this issue is fixed for everyone.

Hi @venom400,

Thanks for the reply.

If you experience the same issues with different SD cards and you suspect the songs get deleted roughly at the same time every month, then most likely there is an app that clears cache on a schedule enabled on your phone.

Since all Spotify info, including your downloaded content is saved as cache, it will get removed if a cache clearing app deletes the cache for Spotify.

This can be a performance or battery optimization app.

Since we can only troubleshoot remotely, we can offer suggestions which have helped other users experiencing the same issues.

AlexModerator

OK wow thats frustrating

OK so what do WE need to do?
What common apps like that on android are we talking about?
im not a dev im just a frustrated customer that would love a refund for Denied service!!

I think that if this is a known issue then somehow someone should figure out a way to get the app to mark itself as an  exemption to these known optimization applications at installation

And another thing since I cannot find where to make a new thread seems to move every time I come here-

Why does spotify and stations start themselves when I turn my phone on like right before turning my phone off I kill all applications manually I close them and then I killed them manually yet somehow for some reason spotify and stations include themselves in my phones auto start now considering the fact that they're both slinging around gigabytes of data like it's nothing every single day it's kind of bothersome that they're forcing their way into these things and then you're telling me that that I have to manually give it permission for things

I've also noticed you can not even force kill spotify sometimes .sometimes it will force itself to exempt force kill 

I have been a spotify subscriber for years that's hundreds of dollars I would really really really like a refund or credit of some sort 

Also today in the middle of all of these anomalies spotify has started showing in tme in the device broadcast menu my phone has its own entry like separate from itself... not a duplicate

It says it's playing from my phone and then right underneath that it says I can connect to my phone showing my phone's model name 

Hi again @venom400,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

It isn't that easy to know or identify which app or setting might be interfering with your phone's cache, as there are many possibilities, including settings that are specific to brands or models. As @Alex mentioned, these are often within the performance or battery optimization section in the phone's settings. It's worth checking with the manufacturer in case you have any questions or need further info.

On another note, Spotify shouldn't start on its own when turning your phone on, unless there's a setting in the phone enabled for it to do so. We suggest checking your phone's settings menu to see which options/permissions are enabled for Spotify and turn them on/off based on what you'd like.

To check if all of these behaviors are related to the device, it would be very useful if you could try using a different phone with the same SD card to see how the app behaves there. 

Regarding how to start a new thread, you can find the steps to do so in this article.

Lastly, we couldn't fully understand your last post. Are you referring to the Connect list within the app or something else in the phone itself? A screenshot would come in handy to have a better understanding of what's going on.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I have been a premium subscriber since 2014.

I paid for spotify because i was so thrilled about the offline/sd card storage.

All these years its never been there. 

You know I've had many different SD cards and I followed all of these instructions over and over again. 

All of your solutions are temporary. It seems once the issue is fixed either an update, or as you say battery optimization, Or sometimes simply just restarting the phone, All that SD card memory it always deletes itself every time every time. 

Thats 84 payments for a service I never really received.  Some months back when I was on a limited data plan my phone bill was so high that I actually had to cut other expenses. I cannot believe I blamed myself for this. I'm Disappointed that you guys are able to get away with this. 

I appreciate that there is an ongoing known issues thread, But the new customers deserve a warning directly in the Play Store. Something. 

Thanks.

Hi @venom400,

We're sorry to hear you feel this way.

We can confirm that this isn't a general or widespread issue, and when it happens, it usually gets sorted out after some troubleshooting or by determining what the root cause is and taking actions based on that, as it may be due to many different reasons and we need to address and troubleshoot each case separately since it can vary across devices, operating systems, setups, etc.

We've asked you to try some suggestions and to give us some info so we can pinpoint what the root of the issue might be to be able to find a solution that works for you, or at least get to know why this is happening, but without the info we've requested we won't be able to further assist in this case.

We'll gladly keep helping you when we have the info we've requested.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

i'll figure it out thanks all

Suggested posts