Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

AVRCP support to see artist and track metadata during Bluetooth playback

Solved!

AVRCP support to see artist and track metadata during Bluetooth playback

Hi!

Are there any plans for implementing AVRCP 1.3+ to enable Spotify metadata (such as track title and artist) to be displayed when playing through Blueooth?

For example, in my car I can see the name of the song, artist, and album when playing music through the standard Android music player, but I get nothing when playing songs through Spotify. 😞

Will this be added in an upcoming update?

Thanks!

122 Replies

So the solution is pretty dated and you lose all the features of the newer app if you want this fix. Anyone have any newer solutions? Everything I've found is too old to work correctly. It seems like the bluetooth issues have been going on for awhile with Spotify doing nothing to fix them. I'ts a bummer considering I use Spotify in my car more than anywhere else and I can't get track info on my stereo. I've never had these issues with Google Play Music, so I'm starting to regret changing services.

I think the problem is that AVRCP do actually work on the Nexus devices since 4.3, with the original Spotify application. Spotify probably consider this problem "fixed", however that is is not the case.

The LG G2 for instance, does not work even after the 4.3 upgrade, which is also odd because AVRCP works fine with Google Play Music, on this device. Seems like Spotify is accessing the AVRCP in some non-uniform way that isn't cross compatible between different implementations of Android.

Really annoying... I Pay 10€ per month and they are not able to get AVRCP working with my LG G2...EVERY other music app is working correctly with AVRCP so it cant be that difficult. But it does not look like Spotify has any interests in such things... Really sad... Im waiting for months now to get this feature. I know, it does not matter for you, but maybe i change back to Google play music..... 😕 THEY do react on User requests!

+1 to Spotify for this. This is long overdue.

This problem is still not fixed. I tested several apps with my G2, Google Play Music, Deeezer, PowerAmp, LG Music Player...

All them works fine.

Spotify is the only one didn't work.

Please fix this issue Spotify.

I use a Sony Xperia Z2 together with my Vovlo V60.

The problem I have is that when I start a track the song info is displayed in my car stereo, and when I change track on the phone, it works. The info in the carstereo changes. But when I use the controls on the steeringwheel (or the dashboard) nothing changes, it's still the song that I played just before I changed track that is shown.

Update:

It doesn't work anymore by changing song with the phone anyomre, I have to Pause then Play to change the displayed song in the V60 screen.

Hi,

Is anyone else still having issues when connecting to car stereos over bluetooth? I cant  get spotify to send the track information from phone (HTC One mini2) to my car stereo unless I turn on another music app first and I have to repeat this everytime I connect. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks 🙂

Solved the  no bluetooth metadata for spotify  problem for verizon galazy s4 and  android 4.3:

first the problem:

" On android 4.3 verizon samsung s4 rooted .. spotify bluetooth metadata does not work on alpine ine s920hd.  Poweramp and google play music do work."
fixify and autoaudio did not solve the problem

solution:
I changed  my android firmware from 4.3 to to 4.4.2. with the latest version of spotify (as of 12/30/14)  I was able to keep my root from a tutorial from xda-developers.: google this:
[HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014

The problem isn't solved for me...

Tested with :

- LG G2 : stock rom (4.4.2 / 5.0.2) or CM12 based (5.0.2)

- Sony Xperia Z3 : stock rom 5.0.2

Car : Skoda Octavia with Amundsen system

When connecting any of my phones, I launch spotify but no information is displayed on the radio. Navigation works however by using the dashboard or the steeringwheel buttons.

Workaround: I first launch the phone music app so mp3 information are displayed, then I switch to spotify and it works as expected: track metadata are displayed. It's a pain in the a** but I have not been able to find a better solution. It could however be improved by using an app like tasker that automatically opens the stock music app when the phone gets connected to the car.

Not meaning to sapm the forums - but it seems there are 2 threads running for the same thing - so here is what I jsut posted on the other thread in case people aren't aware...

I am having the same issue, unforunaley I can't offer any solutions, but I am hoping that enough users with the issue will prompt Spotify to resolve this issue. I found a thread over on XDA and it looks realtivley easy to resolve (but I am not a developer so don't really have a clue)...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2323103

I am trying to use Spotify in my 2015 VW Golf R with the standard 'Compostion Media' unit - all audio controls work, play, pause, next/previous track, however I am getting no metadata.

I have identified a couple of scenarois where I can get the data to show as follows:

1. Music is playing > make a phone call > end call > metadata will show for the track playing before the call was started. When skipping to the next track however, the data is not updated.
2. As other have suggested, start another app first. Play a song in Google Play Music > Pause the song > open and play a song in Spotify. Metadata now works correctly for that session.

Unforunatley only scenario 2 seems to be a workaround (not a solution). Hopefully the Spotify crew can identify and resolve the issue.

Tech stuff for Spotify developers - I am running:
Phone: OnePlus One
OS: CyanogenMod 12.1-20150418-NIGHTLY-bacon (Supports AVRCP v1.3)
Spotify App: 2.7.0.883
Bluetooth Device: 2015 VW Golf R with Composition Media (Supports AVRCP v1.3)

Based on the info above, both the phone and recieving device support the required AVRCP profile as stated in another thread somewhere (I think - correct me if I am wrong). All other apps work fine, Google Play Music, Deezer etc...

Finally, one last thing to mention, I have tried most of the 3rd party solutions including Fixify and AutoAudio. I am plannig to test metafy later tonight and will let you know how I get on.

Really hoping for an officail fix to this relativley minor issue. Many thanks in advance!

I noticed that it has stated working after a recent update to Spotify for
Android

Hmmm, OK, unfortunately still not working for me! Can you confirm which version of the app you are using? Also, which phone and android version you have? This will help the Spotify team to be able to identify the issue for those that are still affected...

Many thanks!

2.7.0.833 on Android 5.0.2 LG Stock

3.4.0.764 on android 4.4 working.

Before this version i was doing this to get the artist/album/song informations on my vw7 screen.

-connect to car bluetooth system
-launch spotify
-send yourself a sms.
Press next on spotify or on ur car audio system.

The trick is you have to set a sms notification sound from your sd card/phone memory. Not a default phone manifacturers sounds. Use zedge to set a sms notification easily.

Android Version: 5.0.2

Spotify: 3.7.0.833

Mobile: Vodafone Smart Ultra 6

Unable to see artist and track names during bluetooth playback.

Is there a fix for this plesae?

2016 and I am having this problem 🙂 

Same issue. No track info, Artist name or Album art being displayed over car's head unit when playing through bluetooth.

Phone - Samsung Galaxy S6
Software version - 6.0.1
Car - 2015 Honda Civic
Spotify version - 6.0.0.864

Check if google music works.

I found out that it only works if your phone supports A2DP Bluetooth which is 'Advanced Audio Distribution Profile'..

I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 mobile which supports that Bluetooth protocol.and the track metadata details are displayed on my VW car radio screen.

Previously I had a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 mobile which does not support A2DP and the track metadata details were not displayed.

My internal Samsung Music player displays the artist and song info but Google play music does not when streaming songs or downloading them.

Suggested posts