Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] [Other] Smart Shuffle toggle setting in settings menu

Smart shuffle is a fun way to discover new songs, but it comes at a cost. Want to reshuffle your queue? Bam, wait a few seconds longer. Want to unshuffle your playlist? Bam, no longer works, and goes to a completely random place in the playlist.

To me this is an unwanted complication, and I'd much rather be able to choose in the settings menu whether I want to enable the Smart Shuffle feature, or disable it.

Updated on 2023-05-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
SentientSpaghet

I've been meaning to buy high quality versions of my music library and ditch Spotify for a while now and this might be a good catalyst for that. I'm sick of useless or broken features being forced on us without any option to disable.

LGStrothman

I hate smart shuffle so much that I am debating on cancelling my service.  It is so frustrating!  I want to listen to the songs I took the time to research and add to the playlist!  REMOVE IT or give us an option to permanently disable!

😠

Aikewoody

What a terrible decision by Spotify to add this “feature”. Smart shuffle is the worst experience for your own carefully selected playlists. And especially the fact that Spotify forces this option onto its users. Very user unfriendly UX decision to let the “shuffle button” work as a toggle between shuffle -> smart shuffle -> no shuffle

At least give the users the ability somewhere in the settings to disable this. I’m now looking into a competitor music platform

rdawg903

Hard agree. Though, knowing the "genius" of this service's devs, they're never gonna do it. Giving it a few more days before outright cancelling my sub. So **bleep**ing stupid. 

martinweiss

I am using Spotify 8.8.16.843 and I am having issues with the new smart shuffle.

1) Shuffle won't disable so I can't reshuffle my playlist or have it normally.

2) Why can't I COMPLETELY DISABLE smart shuffle? Every time I want to unshuffle my playlist, I need to wait 10 seconds for Spotify's algorithm to recommend me music I don't want to see.

I haven't found a setting to completely turn this unnecessary feature off. If someone knows please let me know. Or at least fix the bug with the regular shuffle option. Thank you. 

hannahhofstede

i wish they would have just kept enhance

AlejaR

Hey @martinweiss,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome. 

This seems to be related to some of the changes we recently made to the app experience. For now, Smart Shuffle will replace the Enhance feature. Enhance has evolved into Smart Shuffle, a new listening mode that is housed in the Shuffle button. To activate/deactivate it, just use the Shuffle button to switch between regular play, Shuffle mode, and Smart Shuffle. You can read more about this new experience here.

That being said, you should be able to reshuffle a playlist by hitting the shuffle button. Keep in mind that by hitting the button, you'll first activate Shuffle mode, hitting once more will activate Smart shuffle and hitting once again will deactivate shuffle in general terms. Every time you activate the Shuffle mode, you should get a different order to listen to your playlist, but take into account that you'll have to pass all modes to change between them.

So, since you mentioned you're having inconveniences changing modes, would you mind sending us the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running?

Lastly, it'd be really helpful if you send us a video recording of what you kindly mentioned. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

sott1

Spotify Please listen. I went to the trouble of creating this stupid account. If i wanted suggestions I would use on of ur playlists. I save my own music to listen to that music not ur suggestions. Worst feature

martinweiss

Hi, I know I can disable it by tapping the shuffle button but you're saying EVERY time I want to switch from regular shuffle to no shuffle I need to wait 10-15 seconds? Why can't Spotify add an option in settings to enable or disable it completely? Just like canvas. I like canvas so I enabled it permanently from the settings. Can't this be the same?  I really don't want Spotify's music recommendations and I am not sure why they are being pushed on me. Please let me know. I 

I am using Spotify 8.8.16.843

bc7hr-tk_20yh

Hey Spotify. I appreciate that you give us new music and things, but…

I reshuffle using my shuffle button. And that becomes difficult when trying to move past the shuffle enhance, which takes way too long to click past several time especially when I’m busy. I also don’t personally enjoy it, so I find it frustrating when it ends up putting songs in my queue even without the enhance button on.

I am not saying to remove the enhance ability by any means… but could you allow us to turn it off somewhere? Maybe at the top of a playlist, or in our settings? It would be really helpful.. thank you so much