Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album Art Image Quality on Kit-Kat

Album Art Image Quality on Kit-Kat

Hey all! I just wanted to point out a small thing I noticed that has been kinda bugging me lately. The image quality on the lockscreen album art on 4.4 is really lacking, especially compared to Google Music's. Here's a couple examples of what I'm talking about:

Here's one album cover on Spotify:

Spotify Album Art 1

Now here's the same album on Google Music:

Google Music Album Art 1

Another example from Spotify:

Spotify Album Art 2

Another example from Google Music:

Google Music Album Art 2

As you can see there is a very noticeable difference in image quality. Spotify's look blurry and pixelated while Google Music's look sharp. Would it at all be possible that this could be corrected? Thanks!

6 Replies

Yeah, they're reusing the existing small covers. It has been discussed in a couple of other threads and fed back to the devs but I think that posting a new idea would be a great start to the New Year. Go for it 🙂

@jwylot wrote:

... I think that posting a new idea would be a great start to the New Year. Go for it 🙂

No need, just add your kudos here please! 😉

I did see that @Marco  but this is more specifically about the full screen cover art we see on the lock screen following an update a few weeks ago. Not too certain that's reflected in the idea already there but maybe you could tinker with it a little 🙂

@jwylot wrote:

I did see that but this is more specifically about the full screen cover art we see on the lock screen following an update a few weeks ago. Not too certain that's reflected in the idea already there but maybe you could tinker with it a little 🙂

Eh what? Could you please explain that a bit more @Joe ? 🙂

Sure. The idea mentions low quality cover art on iOS whereas this thread is about the cover art shown on android kitkat lockscreens. I'm thinking that the original idea could be reworded a little to include cover art in higher resolutions generally. Also, the album cover displayed on the kitkat lockscreen is full screen so looks even more pixelated that it does in the android app where it is only using about 50% of the screen.

I'm still not sure this is the same as the existing idea as it seems specific to android kitkat but you'll know best @Marco  🙂

@jwylot wrote:

Sure. The idea mentions low quality cover art on iOS whereas this thread is about the cover art shown on android kitkat lockscreens. I'm thinking that the original idea could be reworded a little to include cover art in higher resolutions generally. Also, the album cover displayed on the kitkat lockscreen is full screen so looks even more pixelated that it does in the android app where it is only using about 50% of the screen.

I'm still not sure this is the same as the existing idea as it seems specific to android kitkat but you'll know best  🙂

Ah alright, now I know what you mean, in that case you're right. In the idea exchange we handle those kind of cases like that: If the title doesn't specify for which platform, it's considered a general idea, no matter what the description says. But since this idea is pretty old and there has apparantly been an update for iOS, feel free to open up a new idea for Android. 😉

Suggested posts