Premium

Country

Philippines

Device

(Galaxy S6 Edge+)

Operating System

(Android 7.0)

My Question or Issue

So, I'm not sure whether this is a known issue or not. Sometimes, an album that I haven't listened to in a while wouldn't load its cover art completely in the now playing screen and the notification controls. The music plays normally, but the album cover has a huge black bar covering it ... at least usually it's just a black bar on the bottom half of the image. This is the biggest one I've seen yet, shown in the image below. The cover art is barely there anymore.
Screenshot_20191223-174948.png
It's not really that functionally impairing since force closing (swiping the app off the recent apps screen) Spotify and then reopening it fixes the issue. But it gets kinda annoying, so I'm just letting you know that it's a thing. I feel like it has something to do with how the images are cached or something. I don't know. I do know that it's not a connection issue since the fix—of restarting the app—works even in offline mode. 

I posted on Android since it doesn't happen on my iPad. Spotify there is doing something else, but that'd be a post for another day.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Neoflare, @franhound and @MacEmge,

Getting back to you all with some more info.

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. Be sure to comment or subscribe in the topic to get notifications. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I’m having this problem as well—only on my android device. Have you tried re-loading the songs or the app with this problem? I’m going to give that a shot and see if it help. Otherwise, I’m not sure what to do.

It doesn't happen consistently for the same album for me. The only pattern I'm noticing is that the further it is from my recently listened, the more likely it is to do that. And even that isn't consistent either.

As for re-loading the songs, I have tried clicking a different song/album, and then going back. The bar was still there. Even backing out completely off the app doesn't fix it. The only fix that works so far is going to recent apps and swiping Spotify away.

Hello @franhound and @MacEmge,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Have you tried removing all Offline devices from here and doing a quick reinstallation using these instructions?

Hope it helps! Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day.

I have not. Thank you for the suggestion! But this seems like a nuclear option that I am hesitant to go for just yet. I'll wait for the issue to annoy me again and then I might try your solution. I hope you understand. For now, thank you so much for the suggestion!

Hey @franhound,

Sure, not problem 🙂

I forgot to mention that you won't lose any saved songs but you will need to re-download any songs you have downloaded.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day 🙂

Good to know—I agree, I’m hesitant to go for a full reload (would take
several hours). Mine is also inconsistent as to what albums don’t load. I
had one in my now playing go from fully loaded to blacked out after I
changed pages in Spotify.

Yeah, re-downloading hundreds of songs is quite a setback for what is essentially a temporary workaround. There's no guarantee if it would last, or if it would work at all.

I also seem to be having a similar problem with my spotify on a android headunit.

My thread I made last night 

Marked as solution

Hey @Neoflare, @franhound and @MacEmge,

Getting back to you all with some more info.

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. Be sure to comment or subscribe in the topic to get notifications. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Thank you for acknowledging! Looking forward for a fix. Cheers. ^^

Hello everyone!

Has anyone come across a fix for this issue? It's driving me nuts, I'm not sure if this is a general Android situation or just on Samsung devices. Mine is an S10+ running Android 10 / app version 8.5.44.941.

Screenshot_20200216-014341_Spotify.jpg

Edit: I force closed the app, restarted the phone and uninstalled/reinstalled the app; nothing worked.

I have the same problem in my app

Since the update 8.5.30.XXX the app corrupts the album artworks in my current phone

I already did a total cleaning of the cache, restarted the phone and reinstalled the app, to no avail.

My phone is an Motorola E4+

My Android version is the Android 7.1.1. Nougat

Suggested posts