Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album songs won't play in order

Solved!

Album songs won't play in order

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Seanban,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

If you're on the free version of Spotify, you'll be able to pick and play tracks as well as play tracks without the Shuffle mode only on selected playlists (with some slight differences on Desktop). Feel free to take a look at this support site article if you'd like to know more about the type of listening experience you can access with the free service in comparison to Premium.

If there's more you'd like to be helped with, feel free to reply and let us know what that's about in greater detail.

We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too! 

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Got it @jameselgringo!

You should be able to play a whole album without shuffle when you open it and press the first song in the list instead of the green Shuffle Play button, you don't need to queue it.

You're right that there isn't a way to remove all the songs from the mobile queue at once, but can choose the last track in the queue and skip it to get rid of the queue faster.

You can also leave a +Vote here if you'd like to see the feature implemented.

Does this work better for you? If you have trouble, feel free to send us a screen recording of what happens when you try that and we'll take a closer look.

We hope this info helps. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator

Marked as solution

Hey there @Lehut,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Can you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing this issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can log into your account on another device. Does the issue persist? That way we can see if it's a device-related issue.

You can also send us a screenshot of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

45 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Seanban,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

If you're on the free version of Spotify, you'll be able to pick and play tracks as well as play tracks without the Shuffle mode only on selected playlists (with some slight differences on Desktop). Feel free to take a look at this support site article if you'd like to know more about the type of listening experience you can access with the free service in comparison to Premium.

If there's more you'd like to be helped with, feel free to reply and let us know what that's about in greater detail.

We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too! 

Mario Moderator

Hi Mario, I'm on a premium family membership for about a year and it has been working fine. I don't know if something has changed but the problem only started recently. Thanks, Seán.

Hey @Seanban,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing this info!

Would you now mind letting us know a bit more about this issue you're experiencing? For example, does it happen only with your own Spotify account? Does it also happen to the other members of your Family plan? Does it happen when you're listening to a specific playlist? 

If it's happening with your account, right now and as a first step it'd be good to double-check that Shuffle play was not accidentally activated using the Now Playing bar. To do so and eventually turn it off, feel free to take a look at the info featured in this support page article.

Let us know how it goes. We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too! 

Mario Moderator

Thanks for your help Mario. Seán.

I had a release come out today but it is a cover song from 1997, because of the date of the original song, it's now showing all the way at the bottom of my page.  Is there anyway to arrange the albums or songs on the artist page to get these tracks at the top of the artists page to be seen?

Hey @thewaterboy,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Currently there is no option to change the order of songs or albums at the artists page. As a workaround we'd suggest you add the song or the songs from the album in another playlist. Then you can arrange their order with the steps mentioned here.

You can also check these steps on how to create an idea. That way other users can also support your idea. Rest assured that he higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

I have premium.

To play an album IN ITS ORIGINAL ORDER OF TRACKS, I have to "add to queue".  Yesterday I was listening to an album that I love.  I listened halfway through.

Today, on my Android, I wanted to listen to a completely different vibe from a playlist.  I hit shuffle play and one song from the playlist played, then yesterdays album resumed.  I clearly wanted to listen to today's playlist, and there was no way to automatically listen to it in the order I saved the songs, either!

I had to open my desktop computer to be able to listen to the queue.  I was able to shuffle play then tell it to play on my phone app.  Ridiculous.  I wish I could use my Google Play Music interface (which is going away) to control my Spotify music, because I rarely feel in control of MY MUSIC on Spotify phone app (not much better from the computer).

I also have this problem! 
I have premium and have logged out and back in. I play the first song of an album and then it plays random songs after!! 

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out, we'd love to help you out further.

@jameselgringo just to confirm that we understand your issue fully - you're not able to play albums in order even when you've made sure that your queue is clear and that you've turned shuffle off on your desktop app? Does this also happen on mobile when you don't have queued up songs?

@Lehut we'd recommend clearing your queue first and giving this a shot by clicking in the frist song in the album. If you issue persists, we'll need to know on what device this is happening and if you experience this only with albums and not with normal playlists.

If you could provide us with a screen recording of this issue it will also help our investigation a lot.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

ElenaModerator

Firstly, IDK how to clear the queue easily on the Android app (without
touching every single song).

I played an album by choosing "add to queue", after hunting through the
3-dot menu because the only other option that offered to play the whole
thing was shuffleplay. I stopped playing it around half way through. (By
the way, it's not possible to go back a track, only forward.)

Next day, I play a playlist using shuffleplay. (By the way, it's not easy
to find playlists as I have around 100 they're hard to search for in the
Android app.) One song played from the playlist. Then next song was the
song where I left off from the previous day's album.

I had to powerup my desktop PC to clear the queue just to listen to the
music I wanted to listen to, on my premium Spotify account. If I wasn't
paying for Premium, I wouldn't think I would have much right to complain
(to you).
Marked as solution

Got it @jameselgringo!

You should be able to play a whole album without shuffle when you open it and press the first song in the list instead of the green Shuffle Play button, you don't need to queue it.

You're right that there isn't a way to remove all the songs from the mobile queue at once, but can choose the last track in the queue and skip it to get rid of the queue faster.

You can also leave a +Vote here if you'd like to see the feature implemented.

Does this work better for you? If you have trouble, feel free to send us a screen recording of what happens when you try that and we'll take a closer look.

We hope this info helps. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator

Thank you.

Yes, it SHOULD work like you are suggesting. Open album, pick first song, album plays in entirety and in order. But it doesn’t work like that as many posters have noticed. First song plays, then the next song in (unrelated) queue plays, instead of next song in album.

So if I change my mind and want to play a different album, then I need to go and clear my queue every time I want to play an album.

Annoying!!
Marked as solution

Hey there @Lehut,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Can you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing this issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can log into your account on another device. Does the issue persist? That way we can see if it's a device-related issue.

You can also send us a screenshot of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

It's quite clear what listeners want. They want to click on an artist, click on an album and listen to the album WHY the *($# won't Spotify give a clear answer, like a legal justification or else fix the f'n problem. all this bs about making your own playlists and it sometimes working on phone and never on laptop or whatever, despite a prem. membership. What is wrong with you people?

Hi @spite4spot

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this!

Could you let us know if you're having this issue? 

If so, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

We'll be happy to help. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Spotify SHOULD have an option in settings to disable the default shuffle play option. It is a little annoying to always manually turn off shuffle.....especially while driving with another app running.

It happens after 'clean installs' as well. I have a Samsung S20FE and use Waze navigation linked with Spotify and shuffle is on by default each time I switch playlists/this is 'artist'/'artist radio' etc.

Hey @CaLEAFornia,

Thanks for the post!

Can you clarify if shuffle gets automatically enabled only when you us Spotify in combination with the Waze navigation, or also when you're playing music only from the app?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hello,

I am a Premium user and this might be my first post, as I never encoutered any problem with Spotify before.

I have the same problem as OP explains and I have a question about your "solution".

So there is a "green shuffle play button" on a top of an album.

Can you tell me who, how, why it is possible to think that reading randomly an album makes any sense ?

Has noone working at Spotify ever considered how music albums are made ? 🙂

This is something you have implemented in your app, you know how to enable it (by default), you should give an option to disable it.

Suggested posts