Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album songs won't play in order

Solved!

Album songs won't play in order

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

45 Replies

Hey there @v01dv01d,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

Remember that you can play an album in its intended order by just tapping on the first song instead of the green Play button (making sure that you have the Shuffle option disabled). This doesn't require any extra steps or clicks. However, we appreciate your feedback on the matter and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right folks.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hello all. I have a similar problem on my mobile (premium plan, sony xperia 5ii, android 11):

When I try to play an album in offline mode, it plays by default in shuffle. That is, I select the first track (the shuffle icon is not active in the now playing screen) it plays, and then it chooses a random track from that album. AFTER the first (shuffled) change of track in made, I can go in album view, select the track that I want to listen to, then go in the now playing screen, activate and deactive the shuffle option, and ONLY THEN it continues in the correct order. But then when I change album, or stop spotify and then continue with the same album I was playing, I am in forced shuffle mode. I don't have that problem when I am online, and I don't have that problem on my desktop (however, I am always online on the desktop).

Thanks!
d.

Hey @rafoarc,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

It's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

In case you're using an SD card, you can try removing it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, thanks for the answer.

So, an update on the problems. First, it turns out that my email was never confirmed. For some reason, Spotify was not able to send to my email. At any case, I I updated my email address, then confirmed it, and most of the issues disappeared. So after confirming the address, whenever I start a new album it plays in order. Whenever I select any song from an album to play, it then continue in order. HOWEVER, whenever I return to an album that I was listening to, and I resume, the first change is on shuffle and there is no way to change that.

So after that, I used your advice, followed the steps above, but nothing changed. So still, whenever I resume the playback of an (offline) album the first change of track is on shuffle and I can not do anything about that. So what I end up doing is press the next button, it will do the shuffled change, and then I select the track I was left to, and it will play correctly from that point on. (until the next stop and resume). It is becoming quite annoying...

Hey hey @rafoarc!

Thanks for getting back to us with some good news. The shuffle- issue does sound a bit odd and we'll do our best to help you out here.

Does this happen with all downloaded albums or just with certain ones and is the song that starts on shuffle part of the same album or a random one?

If you're able to provide us with a short video of what playback looks like for you, we'd be happy to look for clues we might be missing now.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator

@Elena thank you for the reply.

For the video, I am not sure what you mean. Like a screen capture of a shuffled change of track?

At any case, some extra information that I can think of and that might help:

- It happens with all downloaded albums (but only when I am offline. When I play the same albums while online, it doesn't happen)

- The song that starts the shuffle is of the same album.

- It happens only when the pause lasts longer. I mean, if I pause and resume some seconds later, it doesn't enter into shuffle mode. However, if the pause lasts anything above 2-3 minutes (I am not sure about the exact amount of time), shuffle starts.

- I just realized that only the first change of track is shuffled. For example: I play track #2 of an album and I stop the playback. When I resume the playback, it continues with track #2 and when that is finished it selects a random track, lets say track #6. After that it will continue with #7, then #8 etc, i.e. the rest of the changes are not shuffled until I pause again. (I realized that today, so I have to test it a little more)

- Shuffled change happens also when I am on the last track. That is, I play the whole album and I pause while on the last track. When I resume, after the last track is over it selects again a random track, while normally playback should have ended.

- I mostly use wireless earbuds to stop and resume playback. However, it looks like the same happens when I use the controls on the screen.

It is quite odd, I hope that some of the info helps.

Thanks again,

d.

Hi @rafoarc

Thanks for the detailed info. 

Just to make sure, is this only happening when you're using your earbuds or when you're streaming directly on your phone as well?

On another note, with a short video we meant a screen recording where we can take a better look at this behavior. You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Lastly, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to see if the issue persists with a different account? That way we can check if this is an account-related issue.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello, thanks for helping me out with this.

The problem occurs both with and without the earbuds, so it is not related to them.

I logged in with a different account, and it looks like the problem disappears, so I guess it is account related? Towards that end, I registered using facebook and I got the premium subscription. As I already said in my previous posts, for some reason, it turns out that Spotify could not send emails to the address it got automatically from facebook. Therefore, I went without confirming my email for some time. When I realized the problem, I updated the email with a different one, which I was able to confirm.

I was not able to create the screen capture video yet... I will upload as soon as I do.

Thanks,

d.

Hi @rafoarc

Thanks for the clarification. 

In this case, we suggest reaching out to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a closer look at your account and check if everything is ok with your account's cache.

If you have any questions, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I understand that due to Adele's influence Spotify supposedly fixed the album play button to not shuffle by default, but on the latest Android app version it still does not play the album in order. Can someone at Spotify confirm whether this is intended to be an iOS-only feature, and if so, why?

Hey there @chuckfrancis,

Thanks for your post.

This update was for both iOS and Android. We just checked on our end on a couple of Android phones and the play button appears without the shuffle icon.

Could you try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in? If the button is still playing in shuffle, can you send us a screenshot where we can see how the Play button looks like on your end, along with the Spotify version you're running?

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hello, 

I've been having almost the same problem. The shuffle doesn't turn off and yes, I am a premium user...

Tried contacting the support team by e-mail and website, did everything they suggested like cleaning everything in my phone and updating it, reinstalling the app, changing my account and nothing worked. 

It's very annoying not being able to play the songs, playlists and albuns I want in sequence. Been using Spotify for God knows how long and never had a single issue with the app.

Hi there @belxmenezes,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

On another note, can you let us know if this occurs on one specific album or multiple albums?

Also, can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a family member or a friend to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep  an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello all.

I can confirm that this is a persistent issue. Since ‎2021-12-07 that I made my last post to this thread, I went through customer help 3 times to no avail. It is always the same: They confirm that there is a problem with my account from their side (a corrupt registry or something), they say they fix it, and they make me do a clean install. The first time I try to use Spotify it looks like the problem is gone, but it reappears the next day: whenever I resume playback on my phone while offline, it goes into shuffle mode. Really frustrating...

Hello!

Followed the tutorial and it still persists. The issue is now only with playlist and artists profiles. The only good thing is that the shuffle function is now off when I try to listen to an album.

I tried to log in another account on my device and nothing of this happens, the app behaves normally.

Attached some screenshots for you to check out.

Screenshot_20220308-112213.png
Screenshot_20220308-112207.png

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies and confirmation.

Can you let us know if you have any pending OS updates?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you're having?

Keep us posted 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello again, 

Thank you for the attention.

Just checked Play Store and there isn't any updates pending.

The app version I'm using at the moment is 8.7.8.1602.

Hey @belxmenezes,

Thank you for keeping in touch and for the info you shared.

According to the version and the screenshot you sent, we can see that you have an active Shuffle button next to the Play button. We'd recommend turning it off by hitting the green Shuffle button to leave it gray

If the issue persists, make sure that the shuffle option on the Now playing view is turned off as well.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

Hello.

I didn't mentioned earlier but if I turn the suffle off it's still on in everything I listed before in the app. 

The support team told me the was a problem on their side so I changed account to this one and it still persists. No one in the support team solved this and redirected me for the community.

If I can't use the app like it's supposed to work, why should I pay for premium then? Really frustrating. 

Hey @belxmenezes,

Thanks for the reply and keeping us in the loop.

We've done some digging around and it looks like this new Shuffle button design is still in testing, which would explain why the functionality is not consistent. 

We tried reproducing this on our end but songs played in order both in playlists and albums, when the Shuffle button was turned off (grayed out). Can you let us know if you're still having issues with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts