[Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Solved!

Re: [Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

eql
Casual Listener

I was able to read my sd card through another device that wasn't Android and that allowed me to finally see the files. I see the com.spotify.music folder that has my old cache, but the entire SD card is completely write protected. I've checked the "lock" thing, tried this SD formatter tool, tried to format on both Mac and Wins disk management/utility, tried other sd cards just to be sure it wasn't anything else, and I cannot for the life of me format this stupid thing. With the Android update, it basically set permissions on everything and I'm powerless to get rid of the old Spotify files or anything else. So beyond frustrating that I'm stuck.

Daniel
Community Legend

@eql wrote:

I was able to read my sd card through another device that wasn't Android and that allowed me to finally see the files. I see the com.spotify.music folder that has my old cache, but the entire SD card is completely write protected. I've checked the "lock" thing, tried this SD formatter tool, tried to format on both Mac and Wins disk management/utility, tried other sd cards just to be sure it wasn't anything else, and I cannot for the life of me format this stupid thing. With the Android update, it basically set permissions on everything and I'm powerless to get rid of the old Spotify files or anything else. So beyond frustrating that I'm stuck.

Sometimes cards have a physical lock. Try putting th card into the adapter it came with and move the hardware switch up to remove write protection. Now keep the card in the adapter and using a card reader format the card in a PC.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

lordofdascrews

I Have cleared the cache and data then uninstalled the app but the folders in the internal memory dont seem to exist and the app is still reinstaling to the device instead of the SD card

Daniel
Community Legend

@lordofdascrews wrote:

I Have cleared the cache and data then uninstalled the app but the folders in the internal memory dont seem to exist and the app is still reinstaling to the device instead of the SD card

Hi, the app will always install onto phone memory... However what this thread is discussing is how to ensure the cache (offline downloaded playlists, albums etc) are stored to the SD card.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

thaoploeg
Casual Listener

It still wont work for me, i have a HTC m8 and have cleared the cache and data uninstalled the app but havnt been able to find the folder to delete.  i have greater memory on my external SD then my internal phone memory i have even tried the 'extreme' quality that didnt work, im lost any help? i feel as if i have followed all the steps (even if i missed some above) please anything else?

thaoploeg
Casual Listener

i cant even find the folder to delete its not on my phone storage or SD card storage when using file manager on the phone or htc manager on the computer, i have followed every other step besides re formatting the SD card as i want to avoid losing documents. 

any other advise? 

rawkinrich
Casual Listener

Guys,

I've messed about so much with this, can you take a look at the attachments and let me know if the sh*t is indeed saving to my SD?

Cheers.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Screenshot_2014-11-19-08-40-33.png
Screenshot_2014-11-19-08-40-50.png
Solution!

sturmen
Casual Listener

The best way to check is to browse your internal storage with a file manager and make sure /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify is either empty or nonexistent.

View solution in original post

thai2000
Roadie

My datafile on the sd card isallways getting bigger .

Every time when there are new songs available they are downloaded.But is it no so that sometimes old songs are deleted from the playlists to save place on the sd card ?

Will this happen automatiqly or how does that work ?

Please help

vegasmassimo
Roadie

so whats the deal with this spotify and the SD card .. why can it just simply be moved to the SD card like almost every other app ??

i have a goofy LG F3Q phone and yes its a brand new phone came out this year.. i love it because the full slide out QWERTY keyboard..  very limited on board memory - 4gb.. thats it.. so i have a 32gb SD card..  but spotify is one of those programs it will NOT allow it to move to SD card

do i need to root my phone to move this app ? .. and of course i have no clue how to do that so i will need to pay some geek in a wireless shop to do it for me

SUGGESTED POSTS