Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Auto Unable to browse by Album.

Solved!

Android Auto Unable to browse by Album.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Nexus 6p

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Since update before last I've been unable to browse albums via Android auto. Spinning circle is shown and doesn't load. I do have a lot of albums saved but used to work.

Browse by Artist works fine.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

A littte more testing & I find 542 albums is ok , add 1 more to make 543 stops working. remove 1 or more works again.

Note that the figure 542 I found by manually counting as I don't believe there's any way of viewing library stats / counts.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey @noflux, welcome to the community!

Let's make sure both your Android Auto, and infotainment system are up to date.

If they're up to date, try restarting your phone or reinstalling Spotify if the restart doesn't help.

Let us know how it goes.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Yes, Spotify app as well as Android OS is up to date & I have tried
removing / reinstalling Spotify. Also tried clearing data / cache.

My vehicle is Vauxhall Intellilink which was updated last year and has
worked perfectly, the browsing by album issue is only very recent.

Thanks for letting us know, @noflux.

It's possible that you might have a slight hiccup with your account's offline cache, but that can be easily solved. You just need to remove your offline devices by heading here and clicking on "Remove all devices".

Once you've done that, make sure to reinstall the app with the steps that @Alfredo shared with you. You'll need to resync your offline tunes after you're finished (if you have any), but you can do this over Wi-Fi.

We hope this helps 🙂

Thanks for your reply. I have data when this occurs so don't believe it's
an offline issue.

I have however followed your steps.

Signed out of all devices using account link.

Cleared app cache

Cleared app data

un-installed the app

Unfortunately the issue still persists. Just to be clear this issue is only
when browsing Albums in Spotify library via Android auto. I am able to
browse fine using the Spotify app.

I've now identified that I don't even need to be connected to a vehicle,
just using Android Auto.

I still suspect this could be due to the number of Albums I have saved (I
would guess 300+).

To test my album limit theory i had my daughter who only has 19 albums saved, sign into my device and browsing by Album works perfectly. 

I guess I will have to see what I can delete from my library if I want to use this feature in the car!

Thanks for getting back to us with this info.

Just to confirm, did this start to happen after an Android Auto update or the latest Spotify update?

Could you send us the exact Spotify version number? We'll take a closer look.

Cheers.

I believe it was following a Spotify update but both Spotify and Android Auto have both updated again since. My current versions are: Spotify 8.4.66.733 armV7 , and Android Auto version 3.5.583024-release

Further info, I have counted up the number of saved albums in my library and found I currently have 567 if this helps.

Alright!

Could you try logging in to your account using your daughter's phone to see if it behaves the same?

The amount of albums you've saved so far shouldn't interfere with this function.

Keep us posted.

Unfortunately not as she uses an iOS device. However as I mentioned in my original post I have confirmed this issue with two separate devices I use, a Nexus 6P and a Nokia 7 p!us.

I understand.

In this case, could you try using a different account on your Android phones with around the same amount of saved albums to see if it behaves the same?

As you said, this could be related to the amount of albums on the account, but we'll need more info to report this on to the right team.

All the best.

Interesting development, after removing quite a few albums from my library, my saved album count is now down to 542 & the browsing via Android Auto is working!

Although not an immediate issue for me now (until I start adding albums again) could this be investigated as a bug?

Marked as solution

A littte more testing & I find 542 albums is ok , add 1 more to make 543 stops working. remove 1 or more works again.

Note that the figure 542 I found by manually counting as I don't believe there's any way of viewing library stats / counts.

Thanks for getting back to us with this info!

If possible, please send us the following:

• A video of this happening.
  • An exact number of the albums you've saved.
  • The date that it started happening.

Also, let's try to reinstall the app and install any pending software update of all devices involved one last time.

All the best.

I think I have provided quite a lot of information on this issue / solution already, this is something now perhaps for your paid software testing team to investigate ;).

Suggested posts