Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Setting for max Cache Size Allowance

The android version of Spotify currently doesn't have a setting for how much disk space the cache is allowed to take up, so it just keeps getting larger and larger until the entire drive is full. 

A music streaming app should not need several gigabytes of  drive space. Give us the option to cap this - getting real tired of getting told I'm out of disk space and having to manually wipe it.

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Kalmora

Please allow to limit the cache... It's bigger than 6 Gb and spamming my internal SD card, which is now running out of space thanks to Spotify cache. (I've no offline music on this device)
Also define a reasonable default limit. 1 GB e.g.

Kalmora

The problem exists already longer and no one is interested to fix it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-cache-takes-up-to-17-6-GB-on-SD-card-even-after-del...

Kalmora

Please allow to limit the cache... It's bigger than 6 Gb and spamming my internal SD card, which is now running out of space thanks to Spotify cache. (I've no offline music on this device)
Also define a reasonable default limit. 1 GB e.g.

GordonHannan
Exactly my issue
PauloJMF

Hi @csillaggyujto,

I fully subscribe to everything you wrote. I wouldn't never imagine a general purpose cleaner would be able to clean spotify's internal cache.

I guess that spotify exposes the needed information so that the correct cleaning can take place. With correct I mean only expired content and not any explicitly downloaded music files. Was this your experience with CCleaner?

Thanks for sharing!

zamiere

It's a critical bug and unacceptable.

ilborg

It's fairly simple to remove all extra files by using adb, but why I need to do this? It's not trivial to do this when you don't have computer with you, and with adb, it's not trivial to control what data is being cleaned. But with adb, you don't need to re-login which makes things a bit nicer.  At least the cleanup button should have option to not remove the login information. Improved version would be to have manual button to clean up tracks based on date (preferably when those were listened the last time), and later on, this function should be automated. Also it would probably help a lot if some of the playlists could be set to not store music to disk.

Really annoying part is that trying out new music is the biggest cache spammer, which is just the opposite that it should do. And if you need to clean up spotify every 6 months with 32GB device, wonder if it's even usable with any 16GB device?

I understand that spotify does really want to reduce their bandwidth, but IMO, this in worse case could do the opposite as frequently listened tracks will be reloaded every time cache is cleaned.

Fedsottotvpc

Can't believe we need to request this 😞