Premium

Country

USA

Device

LG V30

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Whenever I change the sort order for podcast episodes, it reverts to the default sort order after a few seconds.

I prefer to sort from oldest to newest for podcasts that I'm catching up on so that autoplay goes in the correct direction, and this used to work perfectly fine. However, after the latest update, the sort order always reverts, even as I'm looking at the list without interacting with it. Sometimes when I change the sort order it will lag, and then it immediately reverts to the default sort order.

This is making it extremely difficult to listen to several of my podcasts. Please fix.

20 Replies

Hi there @VoodooLilium,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you log in on a different device to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Same Problem. When i Start an Episode, than Back to Playlist, sorting is reseted to Default. Extrem painful as i have Podcasts with > 400 episodes and everytime i have to scroll to the right Episode. Please fix this Bug. I have also an Android Phone. 

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting on the Community!

We've received other reports of a similar issue. Please head to this thread, check and perform the troubleshooting shared, and if the issue persists, please leave the following info in that post: 

• The make, model, operative system of your phone

• Your Spotify app version 

• If possible, a video showing what's happening on your side 

This info will help us to investigate further.

We'll be on the lookout. 

JulianModerator

I'm having the same issue, very annoying! The podcast experience can be soo much better, I'm hoping these little problems are the low hanging fruit.

I've made a screenrecording, added it to this ticket. My language is set to Dutch, but it is probably self explanatory.

1. I open a podcast, of which about 5 are not yet played. I see the whole list, from new to old.

2. I start sorting: Only show not-played ("Nog niet afgespeeld"), and sort date from old to new ("Datum")

3. The resulting list does what you would expect, showing only about 5 items.

4. I open a single episode, and immediatly return to the list

5. All sorting and filtering is gone, I see the same list as step 1.

6. When opening the filter dropdown, I see the filters set in step 2 (which is not what it is showing in the list)

I hope you can fix this issue, and keep improving the podcast-experience of spotify

It happens for me to (iPhone 13 Pro), its so annoying.
I tried the following:

• clean reinstall
  • open and close app twice in a row

Is there a fix?

Hey @tollube,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We've tried reproducing this on our end but we were not able to, so lets try some more troubleshooting steps here.

First up, we'd recommend logging out from the App > restart your device > logging back in.  If that doesn't solve the issue, could you let us know if you experience this on 5G, Wi-Fi or both? 

We'd also suggest that you test this with another account. If a family member has a Spotify account, it would also be a good idea to ask them to log in on your device and try to see if the sorting will reset for them too. 

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

LyubkaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Oh, this was an issue from a while ago. It was resolved by an update at
some point, I don't remember when. Is there a way to close this?

Hello, thanks for you suggestion. It seems to work with another account. The problem only occurs when logged in to my account...

But I need to use my account - how can I fix it.
I tried to reinstall, relogin, clear cache, ...

Hey @tollube,

Does it occur only with the Android device or is the issue present across multiple platforms?
If it's only present on Android and you have only tried a regular reinstall so far, I'd suggest trying out a complete clean reinstall as well to clear all Spotify-related files from your device 🙂

Let us know how it goes!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, like I said I use an iPhone 13.

It still happens every time I open a podcast and it is so annoying.

i found out it only happens in the „side accounts“ of the family account. The main account does not seem to have this issue.

any suggestions?

Hey @tollube,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Would you mind checking for a pending update for your Spotify app? Go to the App Store > Find Spotify and if there is an update available - you'll see it there. Make sure to install it and check if the issue persists.

It's also a good idea to check for an update for your iOS. If you see one available - let it run as this would also be helpful. 

Let us know how it goes. 

LyubkaModerator

I am an apple Spotify user and I am having the same issue with my podcast preferences not staying. I deleted the app and redownloaded with the same issue occurring. I prefer the episodes to show unplayed only from oldest to newest and every time I sort them they revert immediately back and include played episodes. 

Hi there @user-removed

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the Spotify app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you check if the OS of your iPhone has any pending updates by following the steps @Lyubka sent previously. 

Lastly, would you mind sending us a short screen recording of the issue happening so we can take a closer look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I did a clean reinstall now, it still doesn’t work. iPhone is running on the latest OS.

Here’s the Video 

Hey there @tollube

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens if go to Your Library and then try sorting the episodes from there instead of accessing the podcast from the Home section?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Same happens in the library. 
And again we have a family account and I use a sub account. It does not happen when I use the main account but that’s my dad’s..

Hey @tollube,

Sorry about the late reply here 🙂
Does the issue still persist if you log yourself in with a new account?
And, as previously asked, does it occur only with your iOS device or on different platforms as well?

You've mentioned that the issue is only present on sub-accounts. Are they also being used on Apple devices?
And could you check how things look if you log yourself into the main account from your iPhone please?

Many thanks in advance! We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

As I said - It happens on my iOS device. I don’t have any android device.
If I log into the main account it is working on the same account …

Hey @tollube,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

In this case, it'll really help us isolate this behavior if you could try it on a different mobile device. Since you mentioned you don't have an Android device, we'd recommend asking for the mobile phone from a relative or a friend (if possible) to see if the same happens.

On another note, would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on your iPhone?

Lastly, just to confirm, has the app always been behaving like this, or does it start to happen after a specific event, such as an OS update? Please send us the details about it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts