Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Highlighted

Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Visitor

Plan: Premium

Device: Sony XF90 Android TV

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify Community,

For the last 18 months I've been using the Spotify Android TV App on my Sony TV, in combination with an external wireless keyboard connected to the TV's USB port. This has served as a great solution for typing in track names, avoiding cumbersome entry with the TV remote. 

Within the last week my keyboard functionality has stopped working correctly - it seems to align with the recent GUI change (new sidebar etc.). I have updated the app to the very latest version (1.30), along with my TV firmware, but to no avail.

I am unable to enter text in the search box, and instead certain key presses have bizarre outcomes (e.g. caps lock causes the page to scroll down). Arrow key functionality does appear to work correctly for navigating the GUI. To confirm, I have checked the cursor is definitely "clicked" in the search box.

The results are the same across 3 different keyboards, 2 with a wireless dongle and 1 via Bluetooth. Text input on other applications, such as YouTube, is working fine - same as ever.

Any support would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Visitor

I am having the same problem, Sony TV using a Logitech Wireless Keyboard.

Highlighted

Visitor

Same issue with sony Bravia android tv and Logitech keyboard  as soon i unplug keyboard it shows the virtual keyboard.  All other apps works fine except for spotify 

Highlighted

Visitor
Same here with Logitech Wireless Keyboard, can't search anything
Highlighted

Hey folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

It's possible that with the update some of the app's files have gotten damaged and are causing this behavior.  This can usually be remedied by clearing the cache and removing the Spotify app from your TV and then installing it again. Be sure to also unplug the device itself for a couple of seconds before installing the app anew- this is a simple, but often overlooked step.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards
SUGGESTED POSTS