Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Highlighted

Re: Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Regular

Hi Mihai and Malk,

Just to update from my side that this issue is still present 4 months later. I've tried every possible permutation of uninstalling/upgrading/downgrading but to no avail. Every new version since May '20 has been eagerly installed but again without success.

As others have implied, this is more than a minor inconvenience because having a physical keyboard connected prevents the soft keyboard from appearing on the screen. In other words, if I want to type in Spotify I have to go and physically unplug the wireless dongle from the back of the TV - it's a real pain.

In the nicest way possible, I am relieved to see other platforms are impacted as at least this might gain some more visibility.

Thanks,

James

P.S. For those interested, much earlier versions of the app do still work with an external keyboard - look for the version with the jade green backdrop. Sadly the user interface is otherwise far worse (some serious horizontal scrolling which is a bit nauseating!). 

Highlighted

Regular

Hi.

Could someone from Spotify please run this simple test on an Android TV device?

1. Install "No Keyboard" app from Play Store
  2. Connect an external keyboard to the device
  3. Set "No Keyboard" as the input method
  4. Start Spotify and try to type something in a text box (e.g. Search)
  5. Repeat #4 with e.g. YouTube

I'm anxiously waiting for any news of your test results.

Regards,
MMJ

Highlighted

Hey @j1992e and @MalkMcJorma,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. Could you make sure that the Android system on your TV's is updated to the latest version? If the issue persists please leave a reply with the exact Android and Spotify version you're experiencing this on.

@@MalkMcJorma we'd appreciate it if you also share the make and model of your device. 

Keep us posted. We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies. 

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards
Highlighted

Regular

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Here are the details:

• Device: Nvidia Shield TV 2017
  • Shield Android TV SW Version: 8.2.0 (32.6.435.1)
  • Spotify: 1.35.0 (com.spotify.tv.android)

Before we go into any more details about my specific environment, which I know to be in perfect working order and using the latest SW versions publicly available, please let us know that you have at least attempted to replicate the issue with the test I suggested above.

Regards,
MMJ

Highlighted

Regular

Hi Mihail,

I've got the same issue with the very latest TV firmware and Spotify versions:

TV: Android 8.0.0 - the latest version Sony supports.

Spotify Version: 1.35.0 (com.spotify.tv.android).

Thanks,

James

SUGGESTED POSTS