Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Wear 2.0 & Offline Playback

Android Wear 2.0 & Offline Playback

Does spotify have the ability to download playlists to android wear for offline playback on the watch giving me the ability to leave my phone at home? 

The wear app doesn't work for me at all on my LG Watch Sport / Pixel XL.

108 Replies

It just seems that they don't even care about consumers because we don't even have a decent reply from their side... This is the same for IOS. They must have exclusivity with Samsung which is a shame...

All Android versions of Spotify are the same. There is no samsung exclusive version.

But Samsung wear runs Tizen and not android.

@barclayethan

Incorrect, we are not discussing Android phone apps. We are discussing Android Wear, which most definitely is different than Tizen, which is Samsung's exclusive smartwatch OS.

Please do your research before you spread more confusion on a lengthy and frustratng topic!

@bonuslife3

The reason I brought up android phone apps is because @vbaptista brought up iOS. As there is no Spotify Apple Watch app, I assumed he was referring to a Samsung Smartphone. I am quite aware that Samsung Wear runs Tizen, not Android Wear.

Yes i am speaking of proper Android wear integration. IOS doesn't even have an app for Apple watch. but its the same principle. Spotify for some reason only focus their development for Samsung tizen wearables and doesn't seem to care for the remaining smartwaches OS

Yea, I've also been with spotify as a premium user for the past 3 years now. But its 2017 & they still don't support android wear properly. Would've been acceptable for a free app but for a decently priced premium subscription, this sucks! Deal breaker for me.

Pulling my subscription off & watching out for play music deals for the new year.

Just switched from spotify to Google play music. Loving it, it also gives me complementary YouTube red plus there's obviously much better support for wear.

For those of you thinking, use pyportify to transfer all your songs & playlists over from spotify, works amazingly well.

Good luck spotify!

I cancelled my Spotify subscription 6 months ago and switched to Google Play Music, for this reason. With GPM I can have music offline in my Polar M600 android wear watch and use BT headphones, great combo for runs! I'd be happy to switch back to Spotify if this one small feature was available.

A few months ago I switched to GPM to have offline music on my Huawei Watch 2.  Some time later I  upgraded it to a family plan so that my wife could  have music on her phone. I still get a lot of emails from Spotify, so I  remembered to came back here to check how is the  progress on android wear...sadly,  it seems they are not even working on this. 

According to a source from one of the brands of android wear watches, Google did/do not allow the implementation of Spotify offline mode. The only standalone solution permitted is GPM. Why can not Spotify be straightforward and lay out the truth? 

According to Deezers blog their Android Wear App supports to store songs offline. this means you can use an Android Wear watch with Deezer as standalone. So I don't believe that Spotify is not allowed to do the same.

http://www.deezer-blog.com/press/time-out-deezer-now-available-on-android-wear/

Does not specifically state that it is standalone only that it can be controlled by Android Wear. 

Re: Android Wear with Deezer. I haven't tried it personally but from the blog post - 

Key features include:

• My Music – Listen to all your saved playlists, albums, top track and recently listened songs offline.

Does not state if it is offline list on phone or Android Wear. 

The only way to confirm it is to try it personally. 

Just tried and no luck. Guess they mean offline on phone... 

I think Deezer Will support offline in Android Wear soon. There is a new Garmin watch coming soon that announces offline music with Deezer.

I am impressed how blind Spotify is, there are lots of users requesting this feature for years and they don't listen.

I will move to GPM or Deezer soon.

Has anyone heard something from Spotify about this? I'm halfway over to Google Play Music now, only because of the lack of standalone offline playback on my Android Wear. 

Just echoing my support for this feature. I was a GPM user but switched to Spotify; having this feature on Spotify so I can finally leave my phone when I run would really be a nice addition.

Suggested posts