Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Wear 2.0 & Offline Playback

Android Wear 2.0 & Offline Playback

Does spotify have the ability to download playlists to android wear for offline playback on the watch giving me the ability to leave my phone at home? 

The wear app doesn't work for me at all on my LG Watch Sport / Pixel XL.

108 Replies

BTW: I made a community account just to post here - this is my #1 gripe about Spotify relative to GPM

Well, now when they go public Spotify maybe get a buck or two from shareholders, and can afford development of offline playback for android wear 🙂

It is only about that they are tied by Google not to implement such feature. At least they can be frank about it. 

Wow, has this not been answered for a year? The only thing stopping me from buying a watch is there isn't Spotify offline. I'm thinking about switching because it pisses me off that Spotify won't even let us know if they will or won't implement it. And answer is better than silence... 

Unbelievable, really.

This is why I switched to tizen for hearing offline while wakeboarding. Nevertheless I tried it yesterday again with the last Spotify app on my Huwawei Sport 2. Without sucess...

TBH guys it seems Samsung has an exclusive deal but Spotify does not want to come out and say it in fear of losing customers. I went ahead and bought a non-Samsung android wear 2.0 watch since I don't really like Samsung's UI.

I have a Polar M600 watch. It is not only Samsung...

Sort it out Spotify!

Have been trying out the GPM/YT music free trial, and got to say pretty impressed. Having said that would rather stay with Spotify.. will probably move when the free trial is done if Spotify doesn't at the least respond to this thread. I'm sure they don't care about me, but the quality of GPM has really improved over the last 12 months (would not surprise me if others found the same). Offline wear music is seamless also of course!

Tweeted this and got response. Somehow cant post the link here. @tomvdk

@tomvdk Tweet: 

@Spotify can you please respond at this thread? Why can't I download songs to my @PolarGlobal #M600 phone? https://t.co/TNhoF14Gx5

@spotifycares response: Hi! Thanks for your comments. Don't worry, we'll let our developers know this is something you'd like to see in the future. Feel free to tweet us if there's anything else /GK

I was just considering buying an android wear. I had one before and was then using GPM and it worked excellent! It's so saddening that a company that considers itself to be the world leading music streaming company do not support offline listening on android NOR apple watches (!). 

In the almost identical Apple Watch thread, the rumor is that it might come at some Apple event in June. 

@spotifycare - yeah right. 

Any update on this? Shouldn't be difficult to implement, so if there's another reason, can you please be transparent about it @Spotify?

I'd very much like to leave my phone at home when going for a run, being able to listen to Spotify in offline mode on my Android Wear watch.

I feel we're owed at least a quick reply, but I'd rather see a timeline and/or a more detailed status update, since this has been discussed since 2014 (forum post 10/2015, official reply to ticket on 2/2015 - "Not right now").

As music streaming services are getting more homogeneous all the time, it's going to become easier to switch back and forth if the feature set is not on par, and as Wear OS are becoming more of a focus for Google, and the userbase is growing, I feel it's important for Spotify to do everything to grow in all avenues.

Thanks!

I have a feeling that maybe, spotify signed an agreement with Samsung that states nobody could have such offline ability other that samsung wearables

Because, heck that samsung wears have a spotify that actually full featured

Very unsatisfying situation. Spotify only drops standard phrases ("We'll pass it to the right persons.. blabla"). Should be a standard feature in 2018. Thinking about using Google Play Music instead of Spotify too.

Hello,

Will this functionality appear soon?

Thanks !!!

Mickaël.

The moment I listen to the music I while running. I got the polar M600 because of the great flexibility of having wear os and and great fitness tracker.

If I can't leave my phone at home then I guess Spotify is no good for me, Google Play Music here I came.

Very disappointed with Spotify position and costumer service in all this.

Just a reminder that there is a long-running live idea topic here. Commenting there and voting for the idea might help.

Maybe get an intern to update the app for you during summer if you don't have resources to do this otherwise?

Suggested posts