Country
Germany

Device

Oneplus 7 Pro

Operating System

Android 11 / Lineageos 18.1

My Question or Issue

Hello,

I'm not able to use the more recent versions of the Android app as they immediately crash on launch - currently using version 8.5.71.723 (released last year I believe?). For security reasons and feature-wise this obviously isn't optimal and I'd like to be able to use the more recent versions.

I'm on Lineageos 18.1 / Android 11 without Google Play Services (and I would like to keep it that way). Any advice that goes beyond "delete the data and reinstall the app"? 🙂

Thank you.

13 Replies

Hi there @wei_ba1,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow all these steps when reinstalling the app?

Also, if you're using an SD card, try removing it and reinstalling the app without it to see if that makes any difference.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thanks for your reply, I did indeed follow these steps. My device does not have a slot for an SD card.

I'm having a similar problem since yesterday. The installed version is v8.6.84.1240 (auto-updated 2021-12-02, which is about the date where crashes / freezes started to appear). Should I open a new ticket or do you think this is related enough?
I deleted cache / internal storage and cleanly re-installed spotify multiple times as well.

(Android 10, LineageOS 17.1, but with Google Play services, Galaxy S6, Premium, Germany; can provide further info like logs / screencast if necessary)

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts and extra info.

Can you try logging out everywhere with the steps you'll find here, then restarting your devices, and logging back in?

Additionally, make sure that there aren't any optimization/battery-saving options enabled for Spotify on your phones.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hello,

I followed the described steps to log out everywhere and also restarted my device. This did not change anything about the app crashing on launch.

Hi again @wei_ba1,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you try logging in to a different account on your phone (with the app updated) to see if the issue persists? This would help us understand if this is account or device-related.

Additionally, try logging in to your account on a different Android device to see how it goes.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Hey, i have the same problem. I have a oneplus 8 and the app crashes the moment I open it. When I log in on other devices it's working. Plan non premium, Country Romania, Android 11,

I have the same issue, Oneplus 8T, Android 11, Sweden, family plan. I have tried clearing cache and reinstalling. Works fine on my PC. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Could you also share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Exact Spotify version
  • Video recording of the issue
  • When did this start occurring?
  • If there are any changes after deactivating any battery optimization or power saving apps for Spotify.
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far 

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

• Version I'm currently using that works: 8.5.71.723
  • Versions I've tried that don't work: anything starting from at least 8.6, e.g. the most recent version
  • disabled all kind of battery saving for the app

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

• just updating the app
  • uninstalling the app and installing the newest version
  • Logging out, clearing cache / data, uninstalling the app, restarting the device, installing the new version
  • Logging out everywhere via browser, restarting the device, installing the new version

I could take a screen recording but it seems kind of pointless as it literally just shows the app trying to launch for half a second and then immediately closing, but if you think that would be helpful I could do this later.

Hey @wei_ba1,

Thanks for the info.

We can confirm that we don't officially support non-OEM Android distros.

You can try logging in to your account on a friend/family member's device to see if anything changes. Could you share with us the outcome as well as the model of the device?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

>Keep us posted.

Ehh, for what purpose?

>We can confirm that we don't officially support non-OEM Android distros.

But thanks for clearly stating this.

Hey @wei_ba1,

Thanks for the reply.

This is in case if you tried using your account on another phone to check if it works.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts