Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app doesn't pause when bluetooth connection is lost

Android app doesn't pause when bluetooth connection is lost

I use bluetooth headphones and bluetooth in my car when using spotify from my Nexus 5 (2013) running android 6.0.

For over almost two years with the Spotify Android app, I've been in the habit of expecting that the app will recognize when the bluetooth connection is gone and pause the music I was listening to. From my headset, I'll just flip the switch to off, or in my car with my Belkin bluetooth adapter and I turn my car off, it cuts power to the adapter. 

With the current version of the android app, it will sometimes continue playing music out of my phone's speaker when the bluetooth connection is lost rather than pausing it. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened a few in the past couple of weeks and is getting rather annoying. Especially at work where it's pretty quiet and it takes a second to get into the app to manually pause the music.

Please fix. thanks guys.

2 Replies

Same problem here! I'm a new spotify user, and so far, theres a few things i'm not impressed with by spotify. Music selection (for what i've searched) is not as large as the service i was forced to cancel. and now this bluetooth thing. No other music app has ever done this on my phone. Stock Galaxy note 4, android 5.something.something

When i shut my truck off, it switches from my truck bluetooth connection to playing through my phone speakers. I have Bluetooth headphones as well, that when i shut off, spotify instantly starts playing through my phone speakers...

Not a phone problem, and not an external device problem... App problem. Plsease fix it spotify.. or at least make an option to turn that on or off. I understand some people may like that 'feature' but i have never wanted that in my listening environment. 

The other week I updated Spotify to version 4.2.0.739 from the Play Store and I did a few tests and I thought the problem was fixed. 

Unfortunately, the problem is stil not fixed because it just happened again to me. I flipped the switch to off on my bluetooth headset and the music continued blaring out my phone speaker in my quiet office.  

This needs to be fixed asap, especially for premium subscribers such as myself. I may need to start considering alternatives like Google music. 

Another scenario to consider while you guys are working on this: if I start a call while listening to music on a bluetooth device, the music properly pauses, but, if I turn off the bluetooth device (headphones or car adapter) while on the call.....the music will continue playing out of the phone speaker when I hang the call up. I would say this behavior would be not expected by most users. I would personally like to have the music continue to be paused if the bluetooth connection is no longer present (or rather, in a different state...maybe becomes connected to a bluetooth device) when the call is over.

Thanks!

Suggested posts