Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app periodically re-downloads all offline tracks

Android app periodically re-downloads all offline tracks

I have a Spotify Premium account, which I use on a Samsung S7 Edge. Every few weeks, it re-downloads every single offline track (about 2800 in total).

This is mildly irritating when I'm at home (battery drain), a little more so when out and about in the UK (my music is saved at the highest quality, so it uses quite a bit of data). But I'll soon be going on holiday abroad, and while I have inclusive roaming data, there's less of it than at home.

I don't want to switch off roaming data or limit myself to listening to Spotify offline. Within these limitations, is there any way I can stop Spotify re-downloading already downloaded tracks, ideally permanently but as a minimum while travelling?

2 Replies

Hi! It's strange that it's re-downloading every song, and while I'm not sure of a way to prevent that from happening, I would definitely recommend going into Spotify's settings and disabling the option to "download using cellular" if you currently have it enabled. That should at least prevent it from trying to re-download anything when you're not connected to Wi-Fi.

As far as the initial problem is concerned, I think it would be worth using the "delete cache and saved data" option in the settings and seeing if this will clear up whatever glitch may be occurring. Please note you will have to redownload everything after you do this, but hopefully it will help!

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks Brett. Yes, I'll disable downloading via cellular while roaming, though I'd like to retain the option to stream while abroad. Is that possible?

Am I the only one getting this problem, or does it happen to all Spotify Premium users?

I'm reluctant to wipe the entire saved data as it drains the battery a lot to re-download 2800 tracks, even over wi-fi. But if it's the only solution I may have to.

Suggested posts