Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android preview bugs

Android preview bugs

i apologize if this information has been captured elsewhere already, but i didn't find it.

one major problem with the new android app:

it occassionally gets into some bad state where the player is up, and it cannot be dismissed -- touching the X in the upper left corner does nothing (it is momentarily highlighted green, so it is registering the touch).  in this state, you can swipe the menu in from the left, but touching anything on the menu returns you to the player screen (which usually shows no song and a 0:00 and 0:01 at the ends of the seek bar).  the only way to recover from this state is to kill the app from the "manage apps" system tool.  it seems to get into this state after being paused in the background for some time, or perhaps after disconnecting from bluetooth -- i can't tell what triggers it, but it happens a lot.

a couple other problems that i've noticed a lot:

swiping left and right on the player to change tracks is quite buggy.  for example, if you swipe forward more than one track, and the track doesn't start playing immediately, the player will change to the prior track -- sitting on track X -- swipe forward to track X + 2, track X + 1 will begin to play and the player changes to show this track.  swiping backwards before the first track in a playlist can also put the app into the state described above (where 0:00 and 0:01 are shown and no track is selected).

connecting and disconnecting from bluetooth hoses the player.  after connecting or disconnecting, the current track can no longer be played (the old app did this too).  you must select another track to resume playing.  i listen in the car a lot while making frequent stops (shutting car off, disconnecting BT), and this is quite aggravating.

i am running on a droid x stock android 2.3.3 system version 4.5.605.MB810

6 Replies

Hi there,

the first issue you note I've also seen - noted here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-app-glitches-on-returning-to-app/td-p/47103

The second issue is a new one.

Bluetooth is definitely a little patchy and seems to vary depending on what BT device you are connecting to

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

thanks for your work to document and organize issues -- it must be great for spotify to be able to outsource its QA to paying customers.

i've connected to a few different BT devices, and the behavior is always the same -- problem seems to be with the app, as i don't have problems with other apps (e.g., pandora).

i just hope spotify actually fixes and maintains this new version, rather than just putting it out, hoping that some small  percentage of their android users subscribe again until they get too frustrated, then update the app again in two years for android version 6.

@personanongrata wrote:

thanks for your work to document and organize issues -- it must be great for spotify to be able to outsource its QA to paying customers. 

I reckon Spotify owe licensed a whole jar of cookies by now... Smiley Wink

Did someone say ... cookies?

COOOOOOOOOOKIES!!!

----------------

I've had a similar bug using the android preview today. 

Whilst listening to a play list  mid song the music stops, phone in locked mode as it had been playing for some time. I unlocked phone and the spotify app was unresponsive. the player was unresponsive when trying to either select a track in the play list or chose a menu option.

I did notice that when I unlocked the phone it said it had lost signal. my office is right between two masts so the phone regularly switches. this happened twice today. I then disabled mobile data and wifi and it didn't happen again.

I'm using a htc one x with android 4.0.3

I'll try and take better notes about this if it happens tomorrow.

Great to see a new spotify app out by the way. great new look and a vast improvement.

My feature wish would be for some kind of play list sorting/ view all offline songs by artist/album

@mattbate wrote:

Whilst listening to a play list  mid song the music stops, phone in locked mode as it had been playing for some time. I unlocked phone and the spotify app was unresponsive. the player was unresponsive when trying to either select a track in the play list or chose a menu option.

I did notice that when I unlocked the phone it said it had lost signal. my office is right between two masts so the phone regularly switches. this happened twice today. I then disabled mobile data and wifi and it didn't happen again. 

I noticed that Spotify crashes quite regularly on my commute home, when travelling in and out of signal, and reported it here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-app-crash-on-loss-of-network-signal/td-p/4898...

----------------

Suggested posts