Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App closes everytime i add a track to a playlist

App closes everytime i add a track to a playlist

I have a nexus s, app closes evertime i add a track to a playist after a couple of seconds which i guess is when the app is syncing. Makes starring tracks really frustrating as i know the app will close as soon as i do. A fresh install didnt help, any ideas?
18 Replies

Same thing happens to me (Samsung Galaxy S II, Android 2.3.4). I suspect this is a known bug, so there is no user-enabled workaround (other than "get an iPhone" of course).

Haha works fine on my ipad but bit hard to fit in my pocket. Hope they are looking into this because galaxy s 2 on 2.3.4 must be one of the biggest user base for them. Last time i had a bug with the app forced me to upgrade my phone, looks like i will be getting the s3 in may if this doesnt get sorted.

I have a Motorola ATRIX and I have this same problem. It is when I add or remove tracks in a playlist and also when I star or unstar songs. If I am mass removing it is a mad race to unstar as many as I can before it crashes.

Hey guys,

Sackee - We're not really compatible with the Nexus S at the moment. You can see the list of compatible devices here: https://www.spotify.com/uk/mobile/overview/

Afront - There should be a fix for this problem with the Galaxy S II. If you could give the following a try for us (although you will need to re-sync your music afterwards):

- Open Spotify on your mobile

- Go to 'More', 'Settings' and select 'Clear Saved Data'

- Press 'More' then 'Log Out'

- While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location

- Enter the path to a folder on the SD card. This can be done with a file manager and can differ between phones. On the the Galaxy S for example, you should use: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

- Spotify will then store tracks and cache in this folder: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Andriod/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

RaspyRaspy - With the Motorola Atrix, I have something for you to try:

- Can you go to your 'Edit Profile' on this website, then change your password.

- Log out of the website.

- Log into your Android with your username 'raspyraspy' and your new password. Not your email address. If you're already logged in, could you log out and back in again.

It's a strange fix, but it does often work. Let me know how you get on.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Any suggestion on something to try for the Droid Bionic?  Everything was working great till the newest update was pushed out around early November last year.  Now everytime I star or unstar a track the app crashes.  I tried both the things that were suggested even though I have the bionic but neither fixed the problem.

Hi Sam

I tried that link you gave me to compatible phones and the nexus s is there right next to the iphone in the main picture at the top of the page! Its shown again in the bottom right phone in the group of 4 phones. If the nexus s isnt supported, why is it being used in the promotional picitures for the android app??!?!??!?!?! 

Hi Sam,

I have an Android incredible, and every time I star a song the app crashes. I tried your password reset that you recommended for raspyraspy, but it did not seem to correct my issue. What else can I try?

Been seeing the same issue with app closing after starring a track on the HTC Inspire.

I have this issue on the HTC Evo - which worked perfectly fine until this fall's update.

Version 4.08 does not have this playlist update crash bug, and it is what I have been using.

I would like to have a more recent version that works, however, because every attempt to clear data or uninstall Spotify has not resolved the issue.

@Sam wrote:

Hey guys,

Sackee - We're not really compatible with the Nexus S at the moment. You can see the list of compatible devices here: https://www.spotify.com/uk/mobile/overview/

I like how on one post there's a moderator claiming that we can only expect Spotify support for versions 1.6-2.x and that they support "most" phones - yet when you have a problem, you find out that "most" phones does not translate into "popular" phones, absolving them of actually responding to your support request. Glad to see this behavior didn't stop when they switched over from GetSatisfaction.

Spotify's refusal to acknowledge and fix this bug (which has existed for at least four months) is why I switched over to Rdio. Spotify could take a cue from their app. They just released a new version and when people pointed out what worked and what was broken they actually - get this - released multiple updates to fix them and responded to people on their support site with a timeframe as to when other things would be added.

I'm having the exact same issue on my Droid bionic

Same problem on my galaxy S2, android 2.3.6 :

data cleared, spotify reinstalled, password changed.

Can't move datas to external_sd because i don't have one....

Still not resolved ?

Same problem, HTC Wildfire. Used to work fine but now closes whenever I move/star/delete tracks (and sometimes just randomly) I e-mailed spotify but they just suggested deleting data, uninstalling and reinstalling, which didn't work. Also I'm now getting a message 'there was a problem with the license server' a lot.

Please sort this out spotify, the reason I pay for premium is the mobile app!

Same problem. Samsung Galaxy S II. Crashes whenever I star a song, add song(s) to playlist, rename a playlist, or basically perform any sort of write operation. I'm going to cancel my subscription and give Rdio a try.

O have the same problems when adding a track or album to a list. Very frustrating. I do think the problem began after a fall update. Probably a coding problem. Big bug in need of a fix.

Just another "me too" post. Having the same issues where app closes when adding tracks to playlist, starring, etc...

EVO w/ 2.3.3

I know this phone is not technically supported but after reading this thread it looks like this issue is phone-independent.

Same problem, syncing new tracks/editing any playlist kills the app and reboots it.

Galaxy S2 Gingerbread.

Rest of the app works fine usually, occasional reset for no reason.

The forum seems to be all like "What? Really? Surely not! Try this fix..."

Whereas the feedback in Android Market is telling a very different story. Usually "FIX THIS TURD. IT IZ BORKED."

As an early adopter of Spotify and a lover of the service, I'm also beginning to become disappointed in the app and the company's lack of movement on this. If the ICS thread is true - THEN HIRE MORE STAFF. Really not looking forward to what happens when my phone gets ICS in a few days' time.

So I've not seen any progress on any issue reported with spotify. How about other music services? Anyone have luck with any other one? I'd like to try something else.

Suggested posts