UK 

Device

HTC U11 Eyes

Operating System

Android 7.1.2

Spotify version

8.4.64.555 armV7

My Question or Issue

Hello guys, I can't make my app to recognize my SD card to store offline music.

I have been doing some research but in the Storage section in the settings I only see the internal storage data and if I tap anywhere it doesn't do anything.

I have tried some things recommended in this useful post:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

My phone is not rooted so I can't create the sdcard1 folder under /storage. I have also tried to call my sd card sdcard1 but for some reason if I use a file manager I see the content of my sd card under this path:

/root/storage/CCD3-29E4

Probably this is the issue but I also don't have access to rename this folder to sdcard1.

I have also tried formating the SD card with my computer using FAT32, problem still persist. The SD card is a Sandisk micro SD of 32 gb class 10.

Anyone has an idea of what I can do? this is driving me nuts!!!

Thanks!

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @openminder, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll definitely be able to help though. 

How long has this been going on for? Does the issue persist after a clean reinstall? You can also try it out with a different SD card to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @openminder, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll definitely be able to help though. 

How long has this been going on for? Does the issue persist after a clean reinstall? You can also try it out with a different SD card to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Hola Sergio, thanks for your reply.

I am trying this with a new phone so I never had this working before.

I did try the clean reinstall.

I do have another SD card for my gopro, do you think this would make any difference? the one I have in the phone at the moment is a Kingston 32 gb class 10, it is recognised by the rest of the apps in the phone.

Sebastian

Here is a method I've found that allows me to save music to the SD card - please bear in mind this involves losing all data on the SD though:

1. Clear Data and Uninstall Spotify.
  2. Format your SD card as external storage then eject it from your phone.
  3. Reinstall Spotify, sign in and then download a few playlists.
  4. When the playlists are downloaded, put the SD card back in your phone and format it as internal. When the phone has finished formatting, an option should come up to migrate data to the SD, accept this.
  5. When data is migrated, go into Spotify and download everything else you want. It should all be saved on your SD even though it may not seem that way. 

Hope this helps!

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for the response. That seems like a possible workaround.

I had my SD formated as internal in a previous phone but I don't want to go back to that mode, I feel like I kind of loose control so I would prefer to keep it as external.

Thanks!

Hello all, since I realised that another app was having a similar issue (Adobe Lightroom CC) I went for trying another micro SD card (SanDisk SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA Extreme microSDXC).

This inmediately fixed the issue, now I see the Storage entry in the Spotify menu and everything works as expected.

I still don't understand why the other SD card didn't work (Kingston 32 gb class 10) because it was being recognised by the file manager and the camera.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks!

Suggested posts